[QODLink]
Sport

Nadal crushes Robredo in US Open semi-final

The 12-time Grand Slam title winner will face Richard Gasquet after defeating Tommy Robredo, of Spain, 6-0, 6-2, 6-2.

Last Modified: 05 Sep 2013 03:47
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Rafael Nadal, of Spain defeated Tommy Robredo, of Spain, during the US Open quarterfinals [EPA]

Merciless Rafael Nadal crushed Spanish compatriot Tommy Robredo, the shock conqueror of Roger Federer, 6-0, 6-2, 6-2 on Wednesday to reach a fifth US Open semi-final.

The 12-time Grand Slam title winner will face Richard Gasquet for a place in Monday's final after the French eighth seed clinched a rollercoaster 6-3, 6-1, 4-6, 2-6, 6-3 win over David Ferrer, the Spanish fourth seed.

World number two Nadal, the 2010 champion, took his hardcourt streak this year to 20-0 and his match record to an astonishing 58-3 with nine titles since his return in February after a seven-month injury layoff.

In a ruthless one hour, 40 minute demolition of Robredo, who had knocked out five-time champion Federer in the fourth round, the 27-year-old French Open champion took his perfect run of unbroken service games to 67 at the tournament.

He romped through the first set in just 22 minutes, allowing Robredo only five points, and was 2-0 up in the second before the 31-year-old got on the board.

Another break in the seventh game helped Nadal on his way to a two-set lead and breaks in the fifth and seventh games of the third helped put Robredo out of his misery.

It was the shortest US Open quarter-final since 1988, when Ivan Lendl beat Derrick Rostagno.

Nadal finished with 28 winners to Robredo's 10 and didn't give up a single break point as the world number two claimed an eighth win in eight meetings against his countryman, who has only won one set during that one-sided series.

"I am very happy to be in the semi-finals. I think I played my best tennis of this US Open. It's good to feel better with every match," said Nadal.

Gasquet, 27, whose only previous appearance in the last four at a major was at Wimbledon in 2007, is the first Frenchman to get to the semi-finals in New York since Cedric Pioline in 1999.

Remembering defeat

The victory was only his second in 10 meetings with Ferrer, a series which had also seen him claim just two sets out of 20.

Next up is Nadal, against whom he has lost all 10 meetings as a professional, although he did beat the great Spaniard in their junior days.

"I beat him when I was 13 in a junior tournament in Tarbes in France. Rafa is a good friend of mine so it'll be great to play him," said Gasquet.

Nadal said he remembered that 1999 defeat.

"I lost 6-4 in the the third set. It was a great match and was one of my first international tournaments. It was like the World Cup of junior tennis," he said.

"Richard played amazing that day - it was a great battle for me."

Gasquet had fought out the longest match of the tournament to see off Milos Raonic in the fourth round but showed no ill effects from that four-hour, 40-minute slugfest as he raced through the first two sets against Ferrer.

His majestic one-handed backhand was working overtime as Ferrer, a semi-finalist in 2007 and 2010, struggled.

But the 31-year-old Spaniard summoned up his trademark pugnacious instincts to claw his way back before Gasquet recovered with a crucial break in the sixth game of the decider when Ferrer double-faulted.

He took the match courtesy of a swinging forehand winner.

In a tight contest, Gasquet finished with 52 winners to Ferrer's 40 with the Frenchman collecting just five points more.

The two remaining quarter-finals will be played on Thursday when top seed Novak Djokovic, the 2011 champion who has not dropped a set so far, takes on Russian 21st seed Mikhail Youzhny, a two-time semi-finalist.

Defending champion Andy Murray, the third seed, meets Stanislas Wawrkinka, the ninth-seeded Swiss.

620

Source:
AFP
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Featured on Al Jazeera
Muslim volunteers face questioning and threat of arrest, while aid has been disrupted or blocked, charities say.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
ISIL combatants seeking an 'exit strategy' from Mideast conflict need positive reinforcement back home, analysts say.
European nation hit by a wave of Islamophobia as many young fighters join ISIL in Syria and Iraq.
Featured
Lacking cohesive local ground forces to attack in tandem, coalition air strikes will have limited effect, experts say.
Hindu right-wing groups run campaign against what they say is Muslim conspiracy to convert Hindu girls into Islam.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
Muslim caretakers maintain three synagogues in eastern Indian city, which was once home to a thriving Jewish community.
Amid fresh ISIL gains, officials in Anbar province have urged the Iraqi government to request foreign ground troops.