[QODLink]
Sport
Paris date looms for Renault
Future of F1 team will be decided when race-fixing rap discussed in French capital.
Last Modified: 20 Sep 2009 10:50 GMT

In a fix: Alonso, Briatore and Piquet [AFP]
Renault's Formula One future will be decided in Paris when the governing body rules on a race-fixing controversy that has stunned and shamed the sport.

The French manufacturer has said it will not contest charges that the team ordered Brazilian Nelson Piquet to crash in last year's Singapore Grand Prix so that Spanish teammate Fernando Alonso might win the race.

The former champions could be permanently excluded at the meeting on Monday but a heavy fine and/or suspended ban looks more likely despite the unprecedented accusations levelled against them by the International Automobile Federation (FIA).

Scandal

Even that could be too much to prevent the French manufacturer, hit like the rest of the industry by a sharp drop in sales due to the recession, from following departed Honda and BMW out of a sport reeling from one scandal to another.

Team boss Flavio Briatore and engineering head Pat Symonds have already left, and will not attend the hearing, while Piquet has been offered immunity from prosecution.

"Renault must go in with their hands up, admitting guilt having addressed the issue with the departure of Briatore and Symonds," declared former racer Martin Brundle in an English Sunday Times newspaper column.

"They must also demonstrate that they will install a new team principal of perceived integrity.

"I foresee a sizeable fine for the FIA coffers and a points penalty that will pain the team into next year in regard to revenue and pit lane position."

Alonso 'not suspected'

The FIA has said it has no reason to suspect Alonso knew anything of a plot seemingly agreed between the two team bosses and Piquet.

"This is the biggest damage ever. Now the FIA must punish Renault heavily to restore credibility in the sport"

Former world champion Niki Lauda

The double world champion is not completely off the hook however, with Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper reporting that he had been sent a late summons to attend the hearing.

Neither a Renault team spokeswoman nor the governing body would confirm who would be present.

Alonso, who is widely expected to join Ferrari next year, has already given evidence to investigators who questioned him at last month's Belgian Grand Prix.

Justice must be seen to be done but the FIA will have a difficult decision to make, particularly in the light of the record $100million fine handed out to McLaren in 2007 for having Ferrari documents in their possession.

The Singapore crash, despite its comparatively slow speed, endangered the safety of others in a blatant attempt to manipulate the outcome of a race.

"The McLaren spying scandal two years ago was extremely serious but mechanics have always discussed technical data among themselves," said retired triple champion Niki Lauda last week.

"This, though, is new. The biggest damage ever. Now the FIA must punish Renault heavily to restore credibility in the sport."

Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
People
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
'Justice for All' demonstrations swell across the US over the deaths of African Americans in police encounters.
Six former Guantanamo detainees are now free in Uruguay with some hailing the decision to grant them asylum.
Disproportionately high number of Aboriginal people in prison highlights inequality and marginalisation, critics say.
Nearly half of Canadians have suffered inappropriate advances on the job - and the political arena is no exception.
Featured
Women's rights activists are demanding change after Hanna Lalango, 16, was gang-raped on a bus and left for dead.
Buried in Sweden's northern forest, Sorsele has welcomed many unaccompanied kids who help stabilise a town exodus.
A look at the changing face of North Korea, three years after the death of 'Dear Leader'.
While some fear a Muslim backlash after café killings, solidarity instead appears to be the order of the day.
Victims spared by the deadly disease are reporting blindness and other unexpected post-Ebola health issues.