[QODLink]
Sport
Yao winning Beijing fitness race
China's best-known sportsman is on target to compete at his home Olympic Games.
Last Modified: 26 Jun 2008 10:53 GMT
NBA star Yao Ming says he is still a 50-50 chance of playing at the Beijing Games [GALLO/GETTY]

Yao Ming, China basketball star, aims to be back on court in mid-July as he continues his fitness race to lead the host nation's basketball team at the Beijing Olympics.

The 2.28m Houston Rockets center returned from the United States on Wednesday, nearly four months after an operation on a stress fracture in his left foot and 44 days before the start of the August 8 to 24 Games.

"I had a physical in Houston on Monday," Yao told a news conference.

"My fracture is 80 per cent healed, which is normal after four months treatment. The other 20 per cent will take a year.

"The doctor suggested I start playing competitively in mid-July... Nobody would want to miss the Beijing Olympics and I won't let you down."

The 27-year-old will rejoin the China squad for training on Friday but he was not certain he would be ready to play in the Stankovic Cup warm-up tournament in Hangzhou from July 17 to 20.

"It's 50-50 whether I'll play, I'm not sure," Yao said.

"I feel I am recovering well, though it's still difficult when I'm playing one-on-one."

Yao, China's best-known sportsman and best-paid entertainer, is under huge pressure to excel at the Games despite being the member of a Chinese team with modest medal hopes.

Pressure and glory

"I have done everything I can for the Olympic Games, it is the most magnificent opportunity in my life," the NBA star said.

"But opportunities always bring pressure. I have two challenges, pressure and glory. You can't have one without the other."

However, Yao remains realistic about 11th-ranked China's prospects of winning a medal in Beijing, as they must get past the heavily favoured United States and world number three Spain in their six-team first round pool.

"The US and Spain are much stronger than us," he said.

"We probably won't beat them so we've got to at least beat Angola and one of the other European teams to get to the last eight."

Yao's profile and enthusiasm for the Olympics make him a strong favourite to perform the prestigious role of lighting the cauldron at the Beijing Games opening ceremony, especially after he carried the Chinese flag at the opening ceremony of the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

"I haven't got any idea about that but I haven't been a torchbearer so far," Yao said.

Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Featured on Al Jazeera
Muslim volunteers face questioning and threat of arrest, while aid has been disrupted or blocked, charities say.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
ISIL combatants seeking an 'exit strategy' from Mideast conflict need positive reinforcement back home, analysts say.
European nation hit by a wave of Islamophobia as many young fighters join ISIL in Syria and Iraq.
Featured
Lack of child protection laws means abandoned and orphaned kids rely heavily on the care of strangers.
At least 25 tax collectors have been killed since 2012 in Mogadishu, a city awash in weapons and abject poverty.
Since she was 16-years-old, Scottish Nationalist Party's Sturgeon has strove for independence from the UK.
Armed group's ransom success with German hostages marks a re-emergence, as authorities investigate ISIL links.
Western nations are moving into the resource-rich country after decades of disinterest, challenging China's interests.