In the May issue of the Al Jazeera English digital magazine, we go behind the lens, onto the frontlines and into the diverse world of filmmaking.
The Al Jazeera English digital monthly magazine showcases the very best of Al Jazeera’s journalism from across the globe.
In this edition, we highlight some of our most compelling films, documentaries, and the people who make them, bringing to the fore the human stories behind the opening credits.
Featured in this issue are:
- Bahrain: Shouting in the Dark - An award-winning film that journeys into the heart of Bahrain's Arab Spring, and takes an up-close look at the protests that fought to see the light of day
- Fear, Anger and Politics - A look at being Muslim in a post-9/11 United States
- Beirut Photographer: Memories of War - A photojournalist returns to Beirut to go behind the stories and people behind his iconic images of Israel’s 1982 invasion
- Interview with a Rapist - A face-to-face encounter with sexual predators in Cambodia, as the filmmaker tries to look into the psyche of people who commit such crimes
- Putting an Afghan Face on the War - A visual feast that explores the gentle faces and human stories behind the more tragic headlines in Afghanistan
This edition also features compelling personal narratives and filmmaker notebooks as we endeavour to take the audience with us on a journey through film.
Al Jazeera’s indepth global approach to journalism, allied with a commitment to giving "voice to the voiceless", has won it numerous awards and plaudits over the years.
In past years, Al Jazeera English was named "News Channel of the Year" by the Royal Television Society, received a Peabody award for its coverage of the Arab uprisings, and a Columbia-DuPont award for its coverage of the Haiti earthquake.
Most recently, the Al Jazeera English magazine has been a 2013 Webby Awards Nominee in the Best News App category. The magazine is also the 2013 winner of the People's Voice Webby Award in the Best News category.
The Al Jazeera English magazine is available on iPads and iPhones.
Visit iTunes to download - it is completely free.
Magazines for Al Jazeera Arabic and Al Jazeera Documentary were launched last year.