[QODLink]
Middle East

Deaths reported in Egypt bomb blast

Police officer says three people killed in explosion near Cairo possibly detonated explosive device by mistake.

Last updated: 30 Jul 2014 08:58
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback

Three people have been killed in a car-bomb blast in Giza, on the outskirts of Cairo, according to Egyptian state media.

Security officials were quoted as saying those killed were carrying an explosive device in their car and likely detonated it by mistake.

MENA news agency said the explosion took place early on Wednesday in the town of el-Saf in Giza province.

Another state news outlet, Al-Ahram, quoted Brigadier Mahmoud Shawki, a police officer, as saying those killed were likely to have been on their way to carry out a "terrorist operation".

Shawki said the car was torn into two by the blast and that security forces were trying to identify the dead, Al-Ahram reported.

Egypt has seen a wave of protests and violence since the army toppled Islamist President Mohamed Morsi last year amid mass protests against his rule.

An al-Qaeda-inspired group called Ansar Beit al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for a series of explosions and suicide attacks over the past year.

154

Source:
Agencies
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Featured on Al Jazeera
'Justice for All' demonstrations swell across the US over the deaths of African Americans in police encounters.
Six former Guantanamo detainees are now free in Uruguay with some hailing the decision to grant them asylum.
Disproportionately high number of Aboriginal people in prison highlights inequality and marginalisation, critics say.
Nearly half of Canadians have suffered inappropriate advances on the job - and the political arena is no exception.
Featured
Women's rights activists are demanding change after Hanna Lalango, 16, was gang-raped on a bus and left for dead.
Buried in Sweden's northern forest, Sorsele has welcomed many unaccompanied kids who help stabilise a town exodus.
A look at the changing face of North Korea, three years after the death of 'Dear Leader'.
While some fear a Muslim backlash after café killings, solidarity instead appears to be the order of the day.
Victims spared by the deadly disease are reporting blindness and other unexpected post-Ebola health issues.