[QODLink]
Middle East

Yemen: Plot to seize oil facilities foiled

Security forces claim to have stopped alleged al-Qaeda plot, as drone strike kills six in southern province.

Last Modified: 07 Aug 2013 13:09
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Security has been tightened across the country since the embassy threats were made public [Reuters]

Yemeni security forces have foiled a plot by alleged al-Qaeda operatives to take over oil and gas export facilities and a provincial capital in the eastern part of the country, a government official has said.

Rajeh Badi, a press adviser to Yemeni Prime Minister Mohammed Salem Basindwa, said the plan involved dozens of al-Qaeda members dressed in Yemeni army uniforms storming the facilities on the 27th night of Ramadan, which was on Sunday.

"The plot aimed to seize the al-Dabbah oil export terminal in Hadramout [province] and the Belhaf gas export facility, as well as the city of Mukalla," Badi told the Reuters news agency, referring to the Hadramout provincial capital.

He said the plot was prevented by deploying extra troops around the targeted facilities and banning anyone from entering.

It was not immediately clear if the alleged plot was linked to threats which prompted the US to close diplomatic missions across the region and withdraw many of its personnel from Yemen.

Drone strike

Also on Wednesday, a US drone strike killed at least six people in southern Yemen, the fifth in less than two weeks.

The plot aimed to seize the al-Dabbah oil export terminal in Hadramout [province] and the Belhaf gas export facility, as well as the city of Mukalla.

Rajeh Badi, prime minister's spokesman

Witnesses and local officials in the province of Shabwah said the drone fired at least six missiles at two vehicles in a remote area about 70km north of the provincial capital, Ataq. Both vehicles were destroyed.

Residents who rushed to the scene found only charred bodies, they said.

Hakim al-Masmari, the editor of the Yemen Post, told Al Jazeera that local sources indicated at least one of the people killed in the US drone strike on Wednesday was "an al-Qaeda member".

At least 20 people have been killed in drone strikes since July 28, when a strike killed at least four members of Ansar al-Sharia, a local armed group affiliated with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), one of the most active branches of the network founded by Osama bin Laden.

US sources have said that intercepted communication between bin Laden's successor as al-Qaeda leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, and the Yemen-based wing was one part of the intelligence behind the alert last week that prompted the closure of the embassies.

In addition to the US evacuations, the United Kingdom, France and Germany have also closed their missions, and other European countries have taken extra precautions. Belgium, Italy and The Netherlands advised their citizens to leave.

426

Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
More than one-quarter of Gaza's population has been displaced, causing a humanitarian crisis.
Ministers and MPs caught on camera sleeping through important speeches have sparked criticism that they are not working.
Muslim charities claim discrimination after major UK banks began closing their accounts.
Italy struggles to deal with growing flood of migrants willing to risk their lives to reach the nearest European shores.
Featured
In Brussels, NGO staff are being trained to fill the shortfall of field workers in West Africa.
Lawsuit by 6-year-old girl, locked up for a year, reignites debate over indefinite detention of 'boat people'.
Indonesian and Malaysian authorities are keeping a close eye on local supporters of the hard-line Middle East group.
Citizens of the tiny African nation say they're increasingly anxious of the fallout after alleged coup.
A humanitarian crisis and a budget crisis converge in the heart of the human smuggling corridor in Texas.
join our mailing list