[QODLink]
Middle East

UN calls for 'maximum restraint' in Egypt

Security Council says it "regretted loss of lives" in Cairo, and spoke of the need to "advance national reconciliation".

Last Modified: 16 Aug 2013 01:57
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Egypt's health ministry says at least 578 people were killed after the military stormed pro-Morsi sit-ins [AFP]

The UN Security Council has called on the Egyptian government and the Muslim Brotherhood to exercise "maximum restraint", after an emergency meeting.

Thursday's announcement comes a day after at least 578 people were killed when security forces broke up protest camps allied to the Muslim Brotherhood.

The protesters had been demanding the reinstatement of President Mohamed Morsi, overthrown by the army on July 3.

"The view of council members is that it is important to end violence in Egypt, and that the parties exercise maximum restraint," Argentine UN Ambassador Maria Cristina Perceval told reporters after the 15-member council met on the situation.

The council was briefed on the situation in Egypt behind closed doors by UN Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson.

The meeting was jointly requested by council members France, Britain and Australia.

Cairo's military-backed rulers ordered the storming of pro-Morsi protest camps after dawn on Wednesday, six weeks after the army overthrew him.

"The members first of all expressed their sympathy to the victims and regretted the loss of lives," said Perceval, who is council president for August.

"There was a common desire on the need to stop violence and to advance national reconciliation."

'Not based on facts'

Al Jazeera's Kristen Saloomey, reporting from New York, said nothing significant was agreed upon. 

"They hastily cobbled together this meeting. It means they are concerned about the level of violence, but they did not agree on anything significant," our correspondent said.

"But just the fact that they held the meeting is significant."

Meanwhile, Egypt's presidency said US President Barack Obama's condemnation of the crackdown was "not based on facts".

"We deplore violence against civilians, " said Obama, adding that joint military exercises with the Egyptian army were being cancelled in light of the armed forces' bloody crackdown.

Meanwhile, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navil Pillay called for an independent investigation into the heavy toll in the clashes.

345

Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
At least 25 tax collectors have been killed since 2012 in Mogadishu, a city awash in weapons and abject poverty.
Tokyo government claims its homeless population has hit a record low, but analysts - and the homeless - beg to differ.
3D printers can cheaply construct homes and could soon be deployed to help victims of catastrophe rebuild their lives.
Lack of child protection laws means abandoned and orphaned kids rely heavily on the care of strangers.
Featured
Booming global trade in 50-million-year-old amber stones is lucrative, controversial, and extremely dangerous.
Legendary Native-American High Bird was trained in ancient warrior traditions, which he employed in World War II.
Hounded opposition figure says he's hoping for the best at sodomy appeal but prepared to return to prison.
Fears of rising Islamophobia and racial profiling after two soldiers killed in separate incidents.
Group's culture of summary justice is back in Northern Ireland's spotlight after new sexual assault accusations.