[QODLink]
Middle East
Egypt judges send scores to trial for unrest
At least 293 people are sent to trial on charges of resisting authorities during an anti-government protest last year.
Last Modified: 11 May 2012 06:04
The generals drew criticism for their crackdown on the December protest, including beating women [Reuters]

Investigating judges sent 293 Egyptians to trial on charges of resisting authorities, damaging public property and carrying knives and fire bombs during an anti-government protest last year.

A three-week sit-in in December outside the Cabinet building turned violent when troops badly beat a protester. In four days of clashes that followed, 14 people were killed and hundreds injured.

The defendants, including 24 minors, are also accused of burning a research center housing old manuscripts, attempting to storm the Interior Ministry and practicing medicine without a permit - a reference to the protesters setting up field hospitals to treat hundreds of wounded.

They will be tried in a civilian criminal court.

Egypt's official news agency said on Monday the minors will be tried in a juvenile court. No date has been set for the trial.
This is one in a series of mass trials following violent clashes between protesters and security forces over the past year.

The generals drew international criticism for their crackdown on the December protest, including beating women and pursuing journalists.

Some 379 defendants are also facing trial in July on similar charges that emerged from a November anti-military protest that left more than 40 dead.

One security officer is on trial for attempted murder for allegedly shooting at protesters' eyes.

Another 300 protesters were sent for military prosecution following clashes last week outside the defence ministry. They are likely to face military trials.

The military took over from President Hosni Mubarak, who was ousted in February 2011.

The military's rule has been marred by periodic violence and angry protests by critics of its management of the transition.

Source:
AP
Topics in this article
People
Country
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
Italy struggles to deal with growing flood of migrants willing to risk their lives to reach the nearest European shores.
Israel's Operation Protective Edge is the third major offensive on the Gaza Strip in six years.
Muslims and Arabs in the US say they face discrimination in many areas of life, 13 years after the 9/11 attacks.
At one UN site alone, approximately four children below the age of five are dying each day.
Featured
Absenteeism among doctors at government hospitals is rife, prompting innovative efforts to ensure they turn up for work.
Marginalised and jobless, desperate young men in Nairobi slums provide fertile ground for al-Shabab.
The Khmer Rouge tribunal is set to hear genocide charges for targeting ethnic Vietnamese and Cham Muslims.
'I'm dying anyway, one piece at a time' said Steve Fobister, who suffers from disabilities caused by mercury poisoning.
The world's newest professional sport comes from an unlikely source: video games.
join our mailing list