[QODLink]
Middle East
Bahrain court overturns two death sentences
Cassation court annulls protesters' death sentences, while civil court continues trials of 20 medics.
Last Modified: 09 Jan 2012 16:13
Rights groups say the medics were given trumped-up charges for treating protesters wounded by security forces

The court of cassation in Bahrain has overturned a ruling by the court of appeals that had sentenced two Bahraini anti-government protesters to execution.

Monday's decision will require the court of appeals to re-examine the case and issue a new verdict for the two protesters earlier sentenced to death, and five others who had been sentenced to life in prison.

The defendents, two of whom were tried in absentia, were accused of "deliberately killing" two policemen in March.

According to court documents, the accused hit Kashef Ahmad Manzoor and Mohammad Farouq Abdul Samad, both working for the interior ministry at the time, with large vans. The defendents are then said to have run over the officers in an open area near Manama's Pearl Roundabout.

"This is a positive verdict. We are optimistic," said Mohsen al-Alawi, a member of the team defending one of the men whose death sentence was annulled.

He said that a new witness, a policeman, had come forward after the appeal verdict was initially announced, claiming that the charges were "fabricated".

"His statement has been taken by the public prosecution and we shall use it", in the forthcoming retrial, he said.

Medics retrial resumes

Elsewhere in the Bahraini capital, a civil court has begun a new hearing for a group of 20 medical staff who were convicted of taking part in crimes against the state during anti-government protests that rocked the country last year.

The doctors, nurses and paramedics were handed sentences, ranging from five to 15 years in prison, on September 28, over a raft of charges, including incitement to overthrow the the ruling Al Khalifa family.

But a retrial was initiated on October 23 after prosecutors dropped confessions from the defendants, who had protested that the statements were extracted under torture.

The hearing for the new trial had been adjourned in November.

Most of the staff worked or volunteered at the Salmaniya Medical Centre in Manama, which was stormed by security forces in mid-March after they drove protesters out of nearby Pearl Roundabout.

The workers received the heavy jail terms from the military-run National Safety Court, but are now being tried in a civil court.

They are also being charged with occupying the medical centre and possessing weapons, while denying Sunni Muslims access to the hospital as mainly Shia demonstrators camped in the complex's car park.

 

The medical professionals also stand accused of spreading false news, particularly concerning the condition of wounded protesters, the illegal acquisition of medicines and medical facilities, and participating in demonstrations.

In November, independent investigators tasked by Bahrain's king to probe the unrest were highly critical of the special security court that had tried the medics, along with opposition leaders and activists behind closed doors.

A 500-page report by the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry said the court has issued harsh sentences -including life in prison and death penalties - and "denied most defendants elementary fair trial guarantees".

The document also spotlighted abuses at the Salmaniya Medical Centre.

Rights activist denied entry

A top official from Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) said on Sunday that he was barred from entering Bahrain to attend the trial.

Richard Sollom, deputy director of the US-based organisation, told Al Jazeera that the country's ministry of human rights and social development had rejected his entry after he arrived at Manama's airport.

Sollom who has a five-year multiple entry visa told the AFP news agency that security officials said representatives from non-governmental organisations required special permits to enter the country.

"As soon as I arrived at the airport, immigration officials learned that I was representing the PHR, they immediately pulled me aside," he said.

"They called the ministry of human rights and social development, who told those officials to turn me back and that I was not welcome."

Sollom said he was told by an immigration officer that "it doesn't matter if you have a visa. We are under orders to ensure that NGO representatives get special permission".

Speaking to the AFP, Sollom said he does not believe the situation at the airport to be a matter of miscommunication.

"Unfortunately, I believe the prime minister does not want human rights groups or international journalists to be covering these trials, and to bear witness to the human rights violations that are still occuring in Bahrain."     

Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
Your chance to be an investigative journalist in Al Jazeeraís new interactive game.
An innovative rehabilitation programme offers Danish fighters in Syria an escape route and help without prosecution.
Street tension between radical Muslims and Holland's hard right rises, as Islamic State anxiety grows.
Take an immersive look at the challenges facing the war-torn country as US troops begin their withdrawal.
Featured
Led by students concerned for their future with 'nothing to lose', it remains to be seen who will blink first.
Taipei has sided with Hong Kong's pro-democracy protesters as relations with Beijing continue downward spiral.
Some say they've 'lost everything' after a toxic spill in August, which was followed by leaks caused by heavy rain.
Many orphanages ignore government orders or operate under the radar, and there are only four inspectors nationwide.
Palestinian citizens of Israel are blocked from living in Jewish communities for lacking 'Zionist vision'.