Mubarak, forced out of office in February, is currently in the Red Sea resort city of Sharm el-Sheikh [AFP]
Egypt's public prosecutor has decided to transfer Hosni Mubarak, the former president, to a military hospital, where he will remain under guard pending interrogation, the state news agency MENA reported.
Abdel Maguid Mahmud "decided to transfer the former president Hosni Mubarak to one of the military hospitals," the report said on Friday.
It also said the prosecution had initially asked the interior ministry to transfer Mubarak to a hospital in Cairo's Tora prison, where his sons Alaa and Gamal are along with a growing number of former ministers and regime officials.
But the interior minister reportedly said the prison's hospital was not equipped to deal with the decline in the 82-year-old's health and recommended a military hospital.
Mubarak, who was deposed by popular protests in February after about 30 years in power, was admitted to a hospital in the Red Sea resort city of Sharm el-Sheikh on Tuesday after being questioned by prosecutors over corruption allegations.
A day later, the prosecutor ordered Mubarak detained for 15 days for questioning about accusations that he abused power during his long rule, embezzled funds and had protesters killed.
The report added that Mubarak would be placed under "the necessary security," and that he would remain "detained under preventive custody according to prison laws with the obligation of informing the state prosecution as soon [as] his health improves and the opportunity arises to move him to a prison".
Mubarak suffered a heart attack earlier this week during questioning by prosecutors over his alleged involvement in the deaths of anti-government protesters.
He and his two sons were subsequently remanded in custody for 15 days.