[QODLink]
Middle East
Palestinians killed in Israeli raid
Deaths reported after overnight military operation in West Bank town of Hebron.
Last Modified: 08 Oct 2010 10:34 GMT
Israeli raid on West Bank city leaves at least two people dead and several others injured [Al Jazeera]

At least two Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli military operation in the West Bank city of Hebron.

The deaths occurred following an early morning raid on Friday on a house in the Old City of Hebron, Al Jazeera's Nour Odeh, reporting from the West Bank city of Ramallah, confirmed.

"Eyewitnesses have confirmed two Palestinians have been killed; there are also reports of several injuries and several people having been detained," she said.

Odeh said that Hamas confirmed that the two killed are Nash'aat Al-Karmi, a senior military commander and Mamoun Al-Natshe, a local commander in Hebron.

"The Hamas military wing has called this a murderous attack and has avowed revenge," she said.

The Israeli army confirmed the killings, saying that Al-Karmi, a 33 year old resident of Hebron, was wanted in connection with the fatal shooting of four Jewish settlers on August 31.

A statement issued by the Israeli military does not say that Mamoun Al-Natshe, a 24 year old resident of Hebron who was previously arrested in 2008, was wanted in connection with the shootings.

One man was killed when Israeli soldiers shot at him, while the other "hid in a building which the [Israeli] forces surrounded, calling on him to surrender". The statement said that the forces "employed engineering tools in order to cause him to exit the building", and he was eventually killed.

Operation ongoing

Since the attack on August 31st, "a number of arrests and investigations of facilitators have been carried out," the statement said.

"During these investigations, information regarding planned future terror attacks and the re-establishment of the Hamas military wing in Hebron was revealed."

The operation appeared to be ongoing in search of what Israel called "suspected militants", but "the Israeli army has not really given us a lot of information," our correspondent said.

"Even journalists who were on the site have reported that they have been attacked by Israeli soldiers, their video material confiscated.

"It has been extremely difficult getting through to that part of Hebron, which is effectively under Israeli control.

The Qassam Brigades, military wing of Hamas, called on the called on Palestinian Authority to stop security coordination and release Hamas members in detention.

Source:
Al Jazeera
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Featured on Al Jazeera
Italy struggles to deal with growing flood of migrants willing to risk their lives to reach the nearest European shores.
Israel's Operation Protective Edge is the third major offensive on the Gaza Strip in six years.
Muslims and Arabs in the US say they face discrimination in many areas of life, 13 years after the 9/11 attacks.
At one UN site alone, approximately four children below the age of five are dying each day.
Featured
The conservative UMP party suffers from crippling internal divisions and extreme debt from mismanagement.
More than fifty years of an armed struggle for independence from Spain might be coming to an end in the Basque Country.
After the shooting-down of flight MH17, relatives ask what the carrier has learned from still-missing MH370.
Human rights and corporate responsibility prompt a US church to divest from companies doing business with Israel.
Afghan militias have accumulated a lengthy record of human-rights abuses, including murders and rapes.
join our mailing list