Violations test Yemen's shaky truce

Government accuses Houthi fighters of killing three soldiers just hours after ceasefire deal.

    Reports of a violation came after the army said it had halted fighting against the Houthis [AFP]

    "This isn't a major surprise, because we know this is a very complex political landscape in Yemen.

    "This was not a war that was pitting the government against the Houthi rebels. You had also tribes fighting alongside the Houthis and tribes fighting with the Yemeni army.

    "Definitely a ceasefire would never be able to mitigate the high tension in the northern part of Yemen."

    Military operations halted

    Earlier, the government had announced a halt to military operations on all fronts against the Houthis from the moment the truce went into force at midnight on Thursday.

    in depth

     

      Listening Post: Media spotlight on Yemen
      Riz Khan: Yemen, a failed state?
      Video: Ceasefire holding
      Video: Yemen's tough al-Qaeda challenge
      Inside Story: Can the West save Yemen?
      Inside Story: Focus on Yemen's future
      Profile: Yemen's Houthi fighters

    Ali Abdullah Saleh, the Yemeni president, declared the ceasefire after the Houthis agreed to accept six conditions put forward by the government.

    "We have decided to halt military operations in the northwestern region ... to stop bloodshed, bring peace to the region," the president's office said in a statement.

    Our correspondent said the breakthrough was also in part due to Western pressure on Saleh to tackle Yemen's internal problems.

    "It came when Ali Abdullah Saleh was asked by the international community during the London conference [held last month] to come up with a swift, radical solution to Yemen's pressing problems," Ahelbarra said.

    "I think he decided to start first with the war in Saada, to give him more leeway - a window of opportunity - to tackle Yemen's most delicate problem, which is the secessionist movement in the south."

    Yemen said last week it had handed the Houthi fighters a timetable for implementing the ceasefire terms, a week after rejecting a truce offer from the group because it did not include a promise to end hostilities with neighbouring Saudi Arabia.

    Saudi connection

    The kingdom was drawn into the conflict in November when the group seized some Saudi territory, complaining that Riyadh was letting Yemeni troops use its land for attacks against them.

    Riyadh declared victory last month after the Houthis offered a separate truce and said they had withdrawn from Saudi territory.

    Six-point agreement

      Houthis agree to:
      Respect the ceasefire and open the roads
      Withdraw from regions they
    have occupied
      Return captured weapons, ammunition and equipment
      Release civilian and
    military detainees
      Respect the law and the
    Yemeni constitution
      Pledge not to attack Saudi
    Arabia's territory

    Yemeni officials have said that as part of a truce deal, Sanaa would allow Houthi representatives to sit on a committee overseeing the truce, and the group's fighters would hand over weapons they seized from Yemeni and Saudi forces.

    Yemen state television said the government and the group had also formed four smaller committees to supervise the truce in four areas, including on the Yemen-Saudi border.

    The deadline for the full implementation of the truce had been a point of contention, with the Houthis asking for more time for their fighters to leave mountainous positions, they said.

    The Houthis say their community of Shia Muslims from the Zaydi sect suffer discrimination and neglect and that the Yemeni government has allowed Sunni conservatives influenced by the Saudi religious establishment too strong a voice in the country.

    Led by Abdul-Malik al-Houthi, the brother of the movement's late leader, the group has been in conflict with the government since 2004, but the fighting intensified last year.

    Qatar brokered a short-lived ceasefire between the two sides in 2007 and a peace deal in 2008, but clashes soon broke out again.

    Saleh unilaterally declared the war over in July 2008, but full-scale fighting resumed a year later.

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    More than 300 people died in Somalia but some are asking why there was less news coverage and sympathy on social media.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Japan's third-largest steelmaker has admitted it faked data on parts used in cars, planes and trains.