Cairo match ends peacefully

No violent incidents as Egypt celebrates football victory over Algeria.

    Egypt defeated Algeria 2-0 to force a play-off on November 18 for a 2010 World Cup place [AFP]

    Egyptian hostility

    The build-up to the match had been marred by hostility between supporters, including stones being thrown at the Algerian team bus as it drove from Cairo airport to their hotel and Internet and media wars of words.

    World football governing body FIFA confirmed to AFP news agency that three Algerian players had sustained injuries, potentially ruling them out of the showdown.

    "We saw that three players had been injured - Khaled Lemmouchia on the head, Rafik Halliche above the eye and Rafik Saifi on the arm," FIFA representative Walter Gagg said.

    "These weren't superficial injuries," he stressed.

    For the Algerians, Egyptian security officials and the media added insult to the injuries by saying that the Algerian team faked the attack.

    The Egyptian press reported that an initial investigation showed the Algerians had smashed the windows of the bus with emergency hammers.

    Sigh of relief

    But authorities in Cairo breathed a collective sigh of relief after the 2-0 result in favour of the home team saw concerns about violence ease.

    Amr El Kahky, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Cairo, said: "Everybody is happy that the match went smoothly. No one was hurt, no provocations, there were no incidents that marred the game.

    "They [Egyptian authorities] heightened the alert [since the bus attack]. They were really up to the mission, the game went safely. This nightmare has passed away," he said.

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Apart from being disastrous for Palestine, normalising relations with Israel could get Saudi Arabia in real trouble.

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    With female foeticide still widespread, one woman tells her story of being mutilated for giving birth to her daughters.

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    There are reports Saudi Arabia is demanding money from the senior officials it recently arrested.