US backs Egypt ceasefire plan

Palestinian president also backs proposal and Israel says considering it "very seriously".

    Abbas is attempting to get a UN resolution calling for a ceasefire [AFP]

    Abbas support

    IN DEPTH

    Latest news and analysis from Gaza and Israel

    Al Jazeera Labs: Report on and track the war

    Send us your views and eyewitness videos

    Watch our coverage of the war on Gaza

    Hosni Mubarak, the Egyptian president, presented the proposal after talks with Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president, in the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh on Tuesday.

    A Palestinian official said Hamas leaders had been briefed in Egypt on the proposals by Mubarak and were discussing them internally.

    Sarkozy also said that he had spoken to Ehud Olmert, the Israeli prime minister, about Mubarak's initiative and "he will react soon".

    Israel's ambassador to the UN said on Tuesday that the Israelis were taking the ceasefire proposal "very seriously".

    "I am sure that it will be considered and you will find out whether it was accepted," Gabriela Shalev told reporters in New York. "But we take it very, very seriously."

    The Mubarak-Sarkozy plan got immediate support from Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian president, whose Palestinian Authority lost control of Gaza to Hamas in July 2007.

    "I express my support for the plan set in motion today by Mubarak and Sarkozy," he said as he flew to New York to attend the security council meeting in hopes of getting a legally binding resolution for an immediate ceasefire.

    'Urban offensive'

    Israel continues to insist that it wants all rocket fire to stop, as well as guarantees that Hamas does not re-arm.

    According to two senior Israeli political sources, Olmert's security cabinet, convening on Wednesday morning, will discuss a third - and final – stage of the offensive, but the ministers may defer a vote on approving the plan.

    "The plan is to enter the urban centres," the source told the Reuters news agency, noting the first phase was a series of air raids launched on December 27 and the second a ground invasion that began on January 3.

    Mark Regev, Olmert's spokesman, declined comment, saying: "We do not generally discuss the agendas of the security cabinet."

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    More than 300 people died in Somalia but some are asking why there was less news coverage and sympathy on social media.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Japan's third-largest steelmaker has admitted it faked data on parts used in cars, planes and trains.