[QODLink]
Middle East
Men arrested after Hebron attack
Palestinian minister says arrests after deadly shootings prove security improvement.
Last Modified: 30 Dec 2007 05:17 GMT
Until recently Israel had not allowed Palestinian forces to patrol all parts of the West Bank [AFP]
Palestinian officials have said arrests made after a shootout in which two Israelis and a Palestinian died are proof that security in the West Bank is improving.

Riyad al-Malki, the Palestinian information minister, said on Saturday: "We have succeeded after several hours in arresting two members of the group behind the attack in Hebron.
"This is a very big achievement and proves we can take over responsibility in all the Palestinian territories," he said.

On Friday, Palestinian men opened fire on three Jewish settlers hiking near the southern West Bank city of Hebron, killing two of them.
The two settlers, who were later identified as off-duty soldiers, fired back at the car, killing one Palestinian.

Criminal intention

The attack was the deadliest on settlers in the Israeli-occupied West Bank since the start of this year, which has seen a sharp fall in attacks against Israelis.

Both the Islamic Jihad group and the al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade, the armed wing of Fatah, claimed responsibility for the shooting.

But al-Malki said the shooting might have been more criminal than political.

Ashraf al-Ajrami, the Palestinian minister for prisoner affairs, said Israel was unfairly blaming the Palestinians for the attack, insisting that they were living up to commitments they gave in November's peace conference in the United States at Annapolis, near Washington.

"What happened today ... is proof that the government is making every effort to provide law and order in Palestinian lands," he said.

Strengthening security

The three men were killed in a shootout in the
West Bank village of Halhul near Hebron [AFP]
Ajrami said that Palestinian forces had previously found it difficult to guarantee security across the West Bank because they could not operate in many areas.

"Until now, Israel has not permitted the government to operate in all parts of the West Bank to break up armed cells, even though the government has made real progress in this area," he said.

Abdelrazak Yehya, the Palestinian interior minister, said that they are planning to strengthen their forces with the addition of 50 Russian-made armoured personnel carriers in January.

Israel held up the delivery of the vehicles earlier this month when the Palestinians asked that the vehicles be armed with heavy machine-guns.

Yehya would not specify how the vehicles would be armed, but said they would "only be used to transport soldiers".

Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
Featured on Al Jazeera
UNHCR says hundreds of people trapped in Yaloke town risk death if they are not evacuated to safety urgently.
'Justice for All' demonstrations swell across the US over the deaths of African Americans in police encounters.
Six former Guantanamo detainees are now free in Uruguay with some hailing the decision to grant them asylum.
Disproportionately high number of Aboriginal people in prison highlights inequality and marginalisation, critics say.
Featured
Long-standing dispute over Christian use of the word 'Allah' raises concerns about a very un-Merry Christmas.
The threat posed by ISIL has prompted thousands of young Kurds to join the PKK.
Baja California - with its own grim history of disappeared people - finds a voice in the fight against violence.
Russian feminist rockers fight system holding 700,000 - the world's largest per capita prison population after the US.
Weeks of growing protests against Muslims continue in Dresden with 15,000 hitting the streets last Monday.