Israel launches deadly raid in Gaza

Two killed as army helicopters launch attack on Palestinian fighters in Gaza.

    Large parts of Gaza already  lie in ruins following repeated Israeli raids [AFP]

    Medics named one of the dead men as Fuad Mauf, 22, an activist of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP).

       

    DFLP fighters said they fired rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns at the Israeli forces and detonated bombs they had planted previously near the border fence.

       

    Local residents said Israeli tanks had entered the area, which the army denied.

     

    "The army has found 40 explosives planted in that area since the November ceasefire," an army spokesman said.

     

    Ayman Mohyeldin, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Gaza, said: "Palestinian sources say... last night the Israeli army entered the eastern part of Gaza and Palestinians tried to prevent the tanks form entering any further. There was an exchange of gunfire and a member of the DFLP was killed by an Israeli attack helicopter."

     

    "The Israeli army says that was not the case. They say they believed the men were planning an attack and had observed suspicious activity. As a result they say they were compelled to enter to respond to the preparation."

     

    Peretz allows 'operations'

       

    Amir Peretz, the Israeli defence minister, authorised the army on Monday to carry out operations against fightersGaza, despite the ceasefire agreement between Israel and the Palestinians.

       

    Some Palestinian groups have carried on firing rockets into Israel from Gaza despite the truce, and Peretz said the Jewish state would "not allow the continued strengthening and arming" of fighters in the coastal strip.

     

    A local leader of al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades was wounded by Israeli fire on Saturday in the West Bank, residents said.

       

    Zakaria al-Zubeidi, an al-Aqsa commander from the Jenin refugee camp, was shot in the shoulder by Israeli troops, members of the group said.

            

    "He [al-Zubeidi] was taken to a safe place where he was treated. He is okay," a member of al-Aqsa said.

     

    Ali al-Sumodi, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Jenin, said: "This is the fifth Israeli assassination attempt targeting al-Zubaidi since the beginning of the Israeli army's campaign to pursue him following the Jenin refugee camp battle in April 2002.

     

    "Al-Zubaidi's mother, brother and cousin were killed in the 2002 massacre. Israeli forces have demolished his house and detained many of his relatives, including two brothers.

     

    "Israel claims al-Zubaidi's name is on top of its list of wanted activists for involvement in anti-Israeli activities."

     

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    More than 300 people died in Somalia but some are asking why there was less news coverage and sympathy on social media.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Japan's third-largest steelmaker has admitted it faked data on parts used in cars, planes and trains.