Eight people have been shot dead in a restaurant near a southeastern Czech town, in the worst shooting attack in the country's history.

Patrik Kuncar, the mayor of Uhersky Brod, said the gunman, a local man aged 60, was among the dead after killing himself on Tuesday. A waitress from the restaurant was hospitalised, he said.

"My information is that there are several injured and about eight dead after the shooter's rampage," Kuncar said in a live television broadcast.

The shooting took place at around lunchtime in the Druzba restaurant located in a residential area south of Uhersky Brod.

"I have been conveyed information that it was a 60-year-old local man, probably mentally unstable," said Kuncar.

Interior Minister Milan Chovanec had earlier told news agency CTK he had been informed there were eight victims.

Czech Television said the attacker fired about 25 rounds. A witness told the channel he had seen about 10 police cars arrive and police putting on bulletproof vests.

Such shooting incidents are very rare in the central European country of 10.5 million.

Uhersky Brod is a town of 17,000 in the Moravia region, near the border with Slovakia, about 300km southeast of the capital Prague.

Source: Reuters