Divers have recovered what could be more human remains from the sea where the Costa Concordia cruise liner sank last year off the Italian island of Giglio, according to the head of Italy's civil protection agency.

Franco Gabrielli, the agency's chief, told reporters on Wednesday that the remains "are currently undergoing DNA tests".

"We are waiting for the results of the analysis," Gabrielli said.

Last week the agency said it had found remains that could belong to the last two missing victims from the disaster on January 13, 2012, when the ship capsized after striking rocks, killing 32 people.

After lying on its side in shallow water since it capsized, the Costa Concordia was hauled upright last month in a complicated 19-hour salvage operation. The ship is due to be towed away from the Mediterranean holiday island, probably by next spring, and broken up into scrap.

Source: Reuters