[QODLink]
Europe

Spanish train driver appears in court

Driver of train that crashed last week in Spain's deadliest railway accident in decades makes first court appearance.

Last updated: 28 Jul 2013 19:40
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Officials who detained Garzon on suspicion of negligent homicide have said he was travelling at twice the speed limit

The driver of the train that crashed last week in Spain's deadliest railway accident in decades made his first court appearance, as authorities cite his possible negligence as the focus of their investigation.

Francisco Jose Garzon, 52, arrived at the courthouse for the closed hearing on Sunday after spending the night in the northwestern city's central police station.

The crash, Spain's worst since the 1940s, killed 79 and injured scores more [Reuters]

He has not been formally charged by a magistrate or made any official statements.

Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz told reporters on Saturday that Garzonwas detained on suspicion of reckless homicide over Spain's deadliest rail accident since 1944.

The judge will decide whether to press formal charges, court officials said.

The train was reported to have been travelling at more than twice the speed limit on a bend when it tore off the rails on Wednesday and slammed into a concrete wall.

The president of the Spanish rail network administrator ADIF, Gonzalo Ferre, said Garzon had been warned to start slowing the train "four kilometres before the accident happened".

A passenger who was critically injured in the crash died in hospital, health officials said on Sunday, bringing the toll to 79, including eight foreigners.

Flowers and candles were placed at the crash site and at the gates of the Santiago de Compostela’s cathedral, a year-round destination for Roman Catholic pilgrims.

A memorial service is scheduled to be held in Santiago de Compostela on Monday.

273

Source:
Agencies
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Featured on Al Jazeera
Muslim volunteers face questioning and threat of arrest, while aid has been disrupted or blocked, charities say.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
ISIL combatants seeking an 'exit strategy' from Mideast conflict need positive reinforcement back home, analysts say.
European nation hit by a wave of Islamophobia as many young fighters join ISIL in Syria and Iraq.
Featured
Lacking cohesive local ground forces to attack in tandem, coalition air strikes will have limited effect, experts say.
Hindu right-wing groups run campaign against what they say is Muslim conspiracy to convert Hindu girls into Islam.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
Muslim caretakers maintain three synagogues in eastern Indian city, which was once home to a thriving Jewish community.
Amid fresh ISIL gains, officials in Anbar province have urged the Iraqi government to request foreign ground troops.