[QODLink]
Europe

War crimes court convicts Bosnian Serbs

Two former Bosnian Serb officials sentenced to 22 years in jail for their role during Balkan country's 1992-95 war.

Last Modified: 27 Mar 2013 18:58
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Zupljanin (left) and Stanisic (right) were charged for conspiring with former leader Radovan Karadzic [Reuters]

The Yugoslav war crimes tribunal has sentenced two former Bosnian Serb officials to 22 years in prison, each, for their roles in a campaign against Muslims, Croats and non-Serbs in Bosnia during the Balkan country's 1992-95 war.

Mico Stanisic, the former interior minister, and his subordinate Stojan Zupljanin, a former senior security official in charge of police, were convicted on Wednesday at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).

Stanisic, 58, and Zupljanin, 61, faced war crimes and crimes against humanity charges including murder, torture and cruel treatment of non-Serbs in municipalities and detention centres during Bosnia's war which left 100,000 people dead and about 2.2 million homeless.

"Both [men] intended and significantly contributed to the plan of removing Muslims and Croats from the territory of the planned Serbian state"

- Burton Hall, ICTY Judge

"The chamber finds that the goal of these actions was the establishment of a Serb state as ethnically pure as possible," Judge Burton Hall said.

"Through these acts and omissions both intended and significantly contributed to the plan of removing Muslims and Croats from the territory of the planned Serbian state," the judge said.

Zupljanin later became an advisor to former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic, who is himself facing charges of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide before the ICTY.

Prosecutors charged the two men with involvement in a criminal conspiracy with Karadzic and his military chief Ratko Mladic.

One of the lawyers representing the two men told Al Jazeera's Katarina Drlja that they plan to appeal, after looking into the details of the ruling.

"This appeal will also be processed in the ICTY," said Drlja reporting from The Hague. 

"Only the appeals that will be put in after July 1st will be taken from the new residual mechanism, which will take over all the procedures once the tribunal ends its mandate," she added. 

Stanisic turned himself in, in March 2005 and was released afterwards to move around freely until being summoned to stand trial.

Zupljanin, a former police chief in the Krajina region of northwestern Bosnia who was arrested in 2008 after more than nine years on the run, has remained in custody after being judged a flight risk.

The tribunal has indicted 161 people, mostly Serbs, for their role in the former Yugoslavia. Only six trials remain to be completed.

435

Source:
Agencies
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
Country
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
The author argues that in the new economy, it's people, not skills or majors, that have lost value.
Colleagues of detained Al Jazeera journalists press demands for their release, 100 days after their arrest in Egypt.
Mehdi Hasan discusses online freedoms and the potential of the web with Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales.
A tight race seems likely as 814 million voters elect leaders in world's largest democracy next week.
Featured
A vocal minority in Ukraine's east wants to join Russia, and Kiev has so far been unable to put down the separatists.
Iran's government has shifted its take on 'brain drain' but is the change enough to reverse the flow?
Deadly attacks on anti-mining activists in the Philippines part of a global trend, according to new report.
Activists say 'Honor Diaries' documentary exploits gender-based violence to further an anti-Islamic agenda.
As Syria's civil war escalates along the Turkish border, many in Turkey are questioning the country's involvement.
join our mailing list