[QODLink]
Europe
UK set to open 7/7 bombings inquest
Inquiry to examine whether police and intelligence services could have prevented attacks on London transportation opens.
Last Modified: 11 Oct 2010 09:13 GMT
Hundreds of people were injured in the bombings on three metro trains and a bus [File: AFP]

Inquests into the deaths of 52 people killed in a series of bombings on London's transport network in on July 7, 2005 are set to open in the United Kingdom.

The inquiry, which begins on Monday, will examine whether the police or the MI5 domestic intelligence service could have stopped the bombers, two of whom had been monitored the previous year.

Families of victims and survivors have failed in their calls for a full public inquiry into the near-simultaneous attacks on three metro trains and a bus. But the inquests will provide the first chance to challenge official accounts, which the families have labelled as insufficient, inaccurate and misleading.

"It is disgraceful that there has never been a public, judicial examination of all the facts which is truly independent of the government, the police and the security service," Clifford Tibber, a lawyer whose firm represents families of six of the victims, said.

"These inquests represent the first opportunity for a public examination of the facts and to consider, if there were failings, what lessons have been learned."

Bombers monitored

In the immediate aftermath of the bombings, officials stated that the four men - Mohammad Sidique Khan, Shehzad Tanweer, Hasib Hussain, and Germaine Lindsay - who detonated their devices on the trains and bus during rush hour, were unknown to authorities. 

But in the years since the attacks, it was revealed that two of the bombers had been on the radar of the security services, but were not deemed significant threats.

THE 7/7 ATTACKS

 

08:50am Shehzad Tanweer kills seven and injures 171 on train between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East
08:50am Mohammed Siddique Khan kills six and injures 163 on train at Edgeware Road
08:50am Germaine Lindsay kills 26 and injures 340 on train between King's Cross and Russell Square
09:47am Hasib Hussain kills 13 and injures 110 on a bus in Tavistock Square

Evidence at a number of court cases has shown that Tanweer and Khan, the organisers of the attacks, were photographed, recorded and followed by intelligence operatives several times in early 2004 in the company of plotters later jailed for planning other attacks using fertiliser-based bombs.

"I want the inquests to look at whether any mistakes were made or flawed systems were in place," said Ros Morley, whose husband Colin, died in one of the metro bombings.

"Innocent citizens in the UK and worldwide need to know that they are protected now and in the future."

A report by the parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee last year said that despite being identified by MI5, the two men were not considered "essential" targets.

It concluded that the the intelligence service could not have stopped the bombings because it lacked the resources to investigate Khan properly.

Al Jazeera's Tim Friend, reporting from outside the court in London, said that the inquests have been delayed for five years because of a number of criminal cases that had been taking place in the UK.

"There have also been arguments about precisely what areas this inquest should cover because the security services are worried that intelligence matters do not become public," he said.

"But the coroner is keen that at some point this inquest does cover that territory."

MI5 has sought to block much of the questioning on the grounds that it would require the disclosure of secret files that would  threaten national security.

The legal battle over whether the confidential information should be heard at the inquests is not expected to begin in full until next year, with the early part of the hearings set to be largely procedural.

In a video rant found after the bombings, British-born Khan criticised Western governments for attacks on Muslims.

"Your democratically elected governments continually perpetuate atrocities against my people all over the world. And your support for them makes you directly responsible," he said.

Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
An innovative rehabilitation programme offers Danish fighters in Syria an escape route and help without prosecution.
Street tension between radical Muslims and Holland's hard right rises, as Islamic State anxiety grows.
Take an immersive look at the challenges facing the war-torn country as US troops begin their withdrawal.
Ministers and MPs caught on camera sleeping through important speeches have sparked criticism that they are not working.
Featured
More than 400 gaming dens operate on native lands, but critics say social ills and inequality stack the deck.
The Palestinian president is expected to address the UN with a new proposal for the creation of a Palestinian state.
Nearly 1,200 aboriginal females have been killed or disappeared over 30 years with little justice served, critics say.
Ethnic violence has wracked China's restive Xinjiang region, leading to a tight government clampdown.
Malay artists revitalise the art of puppeteering by fusing tradition with modern characters such as Darth Vader.