The two countries continue to be at odds over the attacks on two hotels and other targets in Mumbai last month, which killed 164 people.

Indian authorities have blamed Pakistan-based fighters for the attacks.

On Thursday Pakistan warned that it would retaliate if India launched a strike against its territory.

"We should hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

Shah Mahmood Qureshi,
Pakistani foreign minister

Earlier this week the Pakistani military was placed on high alert over a possible attack by Indian forces.

The move came as Indian's officials said they had handed over to Islamabad a letter from the only surviving attacker from the Mumbai attack.

The letter said that all 10 attackers were from Pakistan, according to India's foreign ministry.

Though New Delhi and Islamabad continue to engage in tit-for-tat accusations, both sides have repeatedly said they hope to avoid a conflict.

"We want peace, but should not be complacent about India," Shah Mahmood Qureshi, the Pakistani foreign minister, told the Associated Press.

"We should hope for the best and prepare for the worst."