The Taliban captured two French aid workers in southwestern Afghanistan at the beginning of April and has threatened to kill them unless France withdraws its troops from the country as one of the conditions for their release.
The Taliban gave France a week on April 20 to pull its forces out of the country.
The French are part of a 35,000-strong Nato-led operation in Afghanistan, which took over command of a war against the Taliban from US-led forces last year.
On April 14, the Taliban released a video of the two French aid workers - a woman who identified herself only as Celine and a man who called himself Eric - pleading for help.
"My name is Celine. I am French. I am working for a French NGO called TDE - Terre d'Enfance," the woman said on the video.
"I have been kidnapped and I am now in the hands of the Taliban with Eric, Hashim, Hazrat, and Rasul."
Daniele Mastrogiacomo, an Italian journalist who was kidnapped in March, was freed after two weeks when Kabul released five senior Taliban prisoners.
His Afghan driver and translator were beheaded.
The Mastrogiacomo deal drew criticism in Afghanistan and Italy for encouraging the Taliban to take more hostages.
Meanwhile, according to a Taliban spokesman, the group has captured the district of Giro situated in eastern province of Ghazni after killing its leadership and six policemen in an attack.
Yousuf Ahmadi said the district is in control of the Taliban, adding that its fighters had killed the district governor and the police chief.