North Korea has called on South Korea to end "all acts of provocation and slander", a day after it warned of "an unimaginable holocaust" if the South carried out military exercises with the United States.
The National Defence Commission in Pyongyang adopted the conciliatory tone on Thursday in line with leader Kim Jong-un's New Year speech about greater co-operation between the two countries.
In a statement posted on the official KCNA news agency, the NDC said: "We officially propose the South Korean authorities to take a practical measure of halting all acts of provoking and slandering the other side from January 30, a day before the Lunar New Year's Day."
But the olive branch was rejected by Seoul on Friday, with a government spokesman saying there was no intention of changing its behaviour or plans.
"We don't slander North Korea so there is nothing for us to stop," Unification Ministry spokesman Kim Eui-Do said.
"Our military exercises are routine defensive drills, like those conducted by all sovereign states."
The North has regularly denounced the annual drills staged by South Korea and US as preparation for invasion.
This year, Pyongyang said the exercises were dangerous and "may push the situation on the peninsula and the north-south ties to a catastrophe,” KCNA reported.
A spokesman for the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea (CPRK) said in a statement: "They should clearly understand that the north-south ties will plunge into a deadlock and unimaginable holocaust and that disaster will follow should they go ahead with the nuclear war drills and make military provocation."
Last year's exercises were held in the wake of North Korea's third and largest nuclear test, prompting months of heightened military tensions that saw Pyongyang issue apocalyptic threats of nuclear war against the South and the US.