South Korea has accepted high-level military talks from North Korea, after Pyongyang requested a meeting to discuss "pending issues" following months of raised tensions.A defence ministry spokesman said on Thursday that a decision has not been made yet on whether the talks would be held at the ministerial level. "The government also plans to propose high-ranking talks on denuclearisation," the spokesman said.Kim Yong-chun, the North's defence minister, sent the proposal to Kim Kwan-Jin, his counterpart in the South, a ministry spokesman told AFP news agency.Cross-border relations worsened sharply when South Korea accused the North of torpedoing one of its warships last year, killing 46 sailors, a charge Pyongyang denies.Tensions highTensions rose even higher after the North bombarded a South Korean border island in November, killing four people, including two civilians.However, in a change of tack this year, the North has been calling for talks, but Thursday's offer was the first proposal for a high-level meeting.Seoul has dismissed previous peace overtures as insincere.It says the North must take "responsible measures" over past provocations and promise not to repeat them, as well as confirming it is serious about nuclear disarmament, before any dialogue can take place.
Content on this website is for general information purposes only.
Your comments are provided by your own free will and you take sole responsibility for any direct or indirect
liability. You hereby provide us with an irrevocable, unlimited, and global license for no consideration to
use, reuse, delete or publish comments, in accordance with Community
Rules & Guidelines and Terms and