Thai threat to choke off red shirts

Protesters defiant as military says it will block food and water from their camp.

    The military says it will block food, water and power from getting to the red shirts' camp [EPA]

    The military spokesman added that "all kinds of infrastructure, including buses and trains, waterway services, will be blocked" and that some Bangkok residents could be affected by the blockade.

    A spokesman for the red shirts said they have enough supplies to last for some time. And he said protesters had no intention of dispersing, even if the government used force.

    "We have decided that we have to go through with it," Sean Boonpracong told Al Jazeera's Aela Callan. "We are committed. If the troops come in, we are going to have to fight."

    Protesters defiant

    But protesters said they would not end their siege of the high-end shopping district in downtown Bangkok, despite the threat.

    in depth

      Videos:
      Thai businesses see red
      Soldier killed in clashes
      Inside Bangkok's red city
      Deadly grenade attacks
      Protesters fight for a voice
      Violence flares in capital
      Programmes:
      Thailand: Warring colours
      101 East: The red shirts
      Thailand's TV wars
      Profiles:
      Thaksin and the red shirts
      Thaksin Shinawatra
      Blogs:
      Darkest day

    "Whatever measure you use, we are not scared," Weng Tojirakarn, a leader of the red shirts, formally known as the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, told the Reuters news agency.

    Thousands of protesters remained at their fortified camp on Wednesday and showed no signs of leaving.

    Abhisit had offered an election on November 14 - just over a year before one is due - to try to end a movement that began in mid-March with a demand for an immediate poll.

    The protesters, many supporters of Thaksin Shinawatra, the former prime minister ousted in a 2006 coup, accepted the election date but are now pushing other demands.

    In particular, they want Suthep Thaugsuban, the deputy prime minister, to be charged in connection with a bloody clash with troops on April 10 in which 25 people – soldiers and civilians - died.

    Four other people have died in other clashes since then and more than 1,000 have been wounded.

    The authorities are faced with the dilemma of how to dislodge the protesters, which count many women and children among their ranks.

    "We are not going anywhere until the government shows they will take responsibility for the clash," said 39-year-old protester Panna Saengkumboon.

    "People lost their eyes, their legs and arms. Others paid for this with their lives."

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Assassinating Kim Jong-un could go so wrong

    Assassinating Kim Jong-un could go so wrong

    The many ways in which the assassination of the North Korean leader could lead to a total disaster.

    Lebanon has a racism problem

    Lebanon has a racism problem

    The problem of racism in Lebanon goes beyond xenophobic attitudes towards Syrian and Palestinian refugees.

    The life and death of Salman Rushdie, gentleman author

    The life and death of Salman Rushdie, gentleman author

    The man we call 'Salman Rushdie' today is not the brilliant author of the Satanic Verses, but a Picassoesque imposter.