[QODLink]
Asia-Pacific
S Koreans missing after ship sinks
Families vent anger amid search for 46 marines after unexplained explosion sinks navy ship.
Last Modified: 27 Mar 2010 16:52 GMT
Seoul is investigating whether sinking was due to a torpedo attack by the North [AFP]

A South Korean navy ship has sunk near the disputed maritime border with North Korea after an unexplained explosion, leaving 46 sailors missing.

A military spokesman said that the blast in the stern of the ship with 104 people on board occurred on Friday and that a rescue operation was under way.

The 1,200-ton vessel, the Cheonan, sank between 9pm (12:00 GMT) and 10pm local time near Baengnyeong island in the Yellow Sea.

A joint chief of staff spokesman said that 58 people had been saved.

Military divers scoured the waters where the Cheonan went down in search of the missing marines, officials said on Saturday, as families' grief gave way to anger.

Divers tried twice to get to the wreckage, Rear Admiral Lee Ki-sik of the joint chiefs of staff told legislators.

Investigating causes

South Korea's government called an emergency security meeting on Friday to investigate the incident.

IN DEPTH


 
North Korea: A state of war
 N Korea's nuclear trump card

Videos:
 
101 East looks at the future of North Korea
 A rare look at life inside North Korea

"For now, it is not certain whether North Korea is related" to the incident, Kim Eun-Hye, the presidential spokeswoman, said.

He said Lee Myung-Bak, the president, had ordered maximum efforts to rescue the crew men.

"Finding the truth [behind the incident] is important, but saving our sailors is more important," Lee was quoted as saying.

A government source quoted by the South's Yonhap news agency said officials were investigating various possible causes: an attack by a North Korean torpedo boat, a mine laid by North Korea or an explosion of munitions aboard the ship.

South Korean YTN television, quoting an unidentified presidential official, said the ship was well south of the border and North Korean ships were unlikely to be in the area.

A military source told the agency the Cheonan was holed in the stern near its propeller.

War 'unlikely'

The joint chief of staff spokesman said there were no abnormal military movements on the North Korean side of the disputed maritime border, which was the scene of deadly naval clashes in 1999 and 2002.

Paul Chamberlin, a former US naval attache to South Korea, told Al Jazeera: "If it becomes clear this was an attack from North Korea, a major escalation that would lead to general war is very unlikely."

In November the navies of the two sides exchanged fire in the area. The South's officials said a North Korean patrol boat had retreated in flames but it was not known if there were any casualties. No South Koreans were hurt.

The North refuses to accept the maritime border known as the Northern Limit Line, which was drawn up by UN forces after the 1950-53 Korean war. It says the line should run further to the south.

In January, the North fired 370 artillery shells into the sea near the border, raising tensions between the two sides.

Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
More than one-quarter of Gaza's population has been displaced, causing a humanitarian crisis.
Ministers and MPs caught on camera sleeping through important speeches have sparked criticism that they are not working.
Muslim charities claim discrimination after major UK banks began closing their accounts.
Italy struggles to deal with growing flood of migrants willing to risk their lives to reach the nearest European shores.
Featured
Friends of Steven Sotloff, allegedly the second journalist shown in Islamic State beheading video, call for his release.
Cut off from bulk of Tunisia's economic development, residents of rural towns are creating their own opportunities.
Craft breweries see rising sales, challenging large corporations for a bigger taste of Mexico's $20bn beer market.
Frustration grows in Kiev as pledges to end corruption and abuse of power stagnate after Maidan Square protest.
Students kept from using screen-based technology for five days showed improvement in recognizing emotion, US study says.
join our mailing list