[QODLink]
Asia-Pacific
Several die in Indonesia club blaze
Wiring fault and lack of ventilation caused deaths at nightclub, authorities say.
Last Modified: 05 Dec 2009 04:16 GMT
Many people inside the club died from smoke inhalation, authorities said [EPA]

At least 20 people have been killed in a fire at a crowded Indonesian nightclub.

The blaze broke out late on Friday at the karaoke club on the third floor of the M City entertainment centre, in the city of Medan, in North Sumatra province.

Police blamed the fire and deaths on a short circuit and poor ventilation.

"Twenty people were killed in the fire. Eleven were male and nine were female," Imam Margono, Medan police chief, told the AFP news agency.

"They were killed because they got trapped on the third floor in the karaoke lounges. The lounges were near a kitchen [and] the third floor was sound-proofed, so there was no ventilation.

"Several witnesses have been questioned. We plan to further investigate the area today. Our suspicion at the moment is that the fire was caused by [a] short circuit."

Vukko Bakkara, the Medan fire department chief, told The Jakarta Post newspaper that he also believed a short circuit caused the fire.

Most of those who died reportedly died of smoke inhalation.

Evacuation hindered

"From the third floor the fire spread rapidly to other floors," a witness was quoted as saying by the Detikcom online news agency.

The job of evacuating the building had been complicated by the fact that most of the karaoke lounges were locked when the fire started.

Local officials said that safety standards at the entertainment complex had to be examined for the future.

"We have to be more careful in the future. All buildings have to be checked whether they have complete emergency tools. We need to inspect all the alarms," Eddy Sofian, a spokesman for the North Sumatra administration, said.

A number of deadly fires have been reported in Asia and many have been blamed on a disregard for fire regulations.

Sixty-four people died in a fire at a nightclub in Bangkok's Ekkamai district in January.

Police suggested it might have been caused by a fireworks display, but officials said they were also investigating the wiring in the club and sparklers given to guests.

Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
City
Featured on Al Jazeera
More than one-quarter of Gaza's population has been displaced, causing a humanitarian crisis.
Ministers and MPs caught on camera sleeping through important speeches have sparked criticism that they are not working.
Muslim charities claim discrimination after major UK banks began closing their accounts.
Italy struggles to deal with growing flood of migrants willing to risk their lives to reach the nearest European shores.
Featured
Assam officials upset that WWII-era Stillwell Road won't be used in transnational highway linking four Asian nations.
Informal health centres are treating thousands of Syrian refugees in Turkey, easing the pressure on local hospitals.
Indonesian and Malaysian authorities are keeping a close eye on local supporters of the hard-line Middle East group.
Wastewater ponds dot the landscape in US states that produce gas; environmentalists say they’re a growing threat.
China President Xi Jinping's Mongolia visit brings accords in the areas of culture, energy, mining and infrastructure.
join our mailing list