Former Shanghai official sentenced

Chen Liangyu was put on trial in Chinese court for "taking bribes and abusing power".

    Chen, 61, is the most senior Chinese official to be convicted of corruption in over a decade [AP]


    Last month, the state audit office revealed figures that put the amount of stolen cash at 33.9 billion yuan ($4.8bn), 10 times more than the original estimate of $480 million.

      

    The state has already handed down tough convictions to up to 20 officials and businessmen involved in the theft of the pension funds, including one suspended death sentence and several life imprisonments.

      

    Chen had been charged with abuse of power in connection with the pension fund scandal, as well as accepting 2.39 million yuan ($342,000), some of which was given to his wife and son, earlier press reports said.

      

    Dereliction of duty

     

    State press said that charges of dereliction of duty were dropped against him in Friday's decision.

      

    During his one-day trial, Chen admitted he was "partially responsible" for the pilfering but did not plead guilty, according to previous state media reports.

      

    Chen's case is the biggest corruption scandal to hit the Chinese government since Chen Xitong, a former Beijing mayor, was removed from his post in 1995 and sentenced to 16 years in jail.

      

    Chen was charged with corruption in 2006 when he was a member of the ruling Communist Party politburo, a grouping of about 20 or so of China's most powerful politicians.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Why Jerusalem is not the capital of Israel

    Why Jerusalem is not the capital of Israel

    No country in the world recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

    Canada: Attack on girl wearing hijab 'did not happen'

    Canada: Attack on girl wearing hijab 'did not happen'

    Toronto police announce hate crime investigation concluded after evidence shows cutting of girl's hijab didn't occur.

    New Boko Haram video purports to show Chibok girls

    Boko Haram video purports to show seized Chibok girls

    Girl appearing in footage says the abductees are safe, live g in comfort and do not want to be rescued.