[QODLink]
Americas

California man confesses to 40 slayings

Suspected contract killer carried out the crimes working as an enforcer for drug cartel, prosecutor says.

Last updated: 10 Apr 2014 11:20
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Martinez told investigators he carried out the crimes working as an enforcer for a drug cartel [AP]

A suspected contract killer charged in California with killing nine people has confessed to investigators that he carried out up to 40 slayings in a career spanning decades, according to a prosecutor.

Errek Jett, district attorney in Lawrence County, Alabama, said on Wednesday that Jose Manuel Martinez, 51, told investigators he carried out the crimes working as an enforcer for a drug cartel.

Jett said they believe Martinez because of the details he gave investigators.

Martinez was arrested last year shortly after crossing the border from Mexico into Arizona and sent to Alabama, where he awaits trial on one murder charge.

Once word got out, a steady stream of investigators from across the country came to question Martinez, Jett said.

Defence attorney Thomas Turner, who represents Martinez in that lone case, said his client is eager to start a trial in June in Alabama, so he can return to California.

Turner said Martinez maintains his innocence to the charge there and doesn't seem to be a hardened killer.

"I've found him to be polite and a likable individual," Turner said. "He has a good personality as far as talking with him."

Prosecutors in California say otherwise.

Martinez targeted victims in Tulare, Kern and Santa Barbara counties between 1980 and 2011, Tulare County Assistant District Attorney Anthony Fultz, who filed charges on Tuesday, said.

Death sentence

Investigators have released details of their case, saying six of the victims were killed in Tulare County, two in Kern and one in Santa Barbara.

They ranged in age from 22 to 56, investigators said.

One man was shot dead in 1980 driving to work in the morning, while two men were shot in 1982 working on a ranch, one surviving.

The same year, another man went missing before being found two days later by ranchers shot and stabbed to death. Yet another was found in 2000 shot to death in bed with his four children at home.

In addition to the nine murder counts, Martinez was charged in California with one count of attempted murder and the special circumstances of committing multiple murders, lying in wait and kidnapping.

Four murder charges include the allegation he committed the crime for financial gain, the criminal complaint says.

The California charges would make Martinez eligible for a death sentence, if he is convicted.

Martinez has lived on and off in Richgrove, a small farming community in Central California, about 64km north of Bakersfield.

He is being held in Alabama, awaiting trial in a 2013 slaying, and Fultz said he is also wanted in Florida on suspicion of two killings there in 2006.

435

Source:
AP
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Featured on Al Jazeera
Swathes of the British electorate continue to show discontent with all things European, including immigration.
Astronomers have captured images of primordial galaxies that helped light up the cosmos after the Big Bang.
Critics assail British photographer's portrayal of indigenous people, but he says he's highlighting their plight.
As Western stars re-release 1980s charity hit, many Africans say it's a demeaning relic that can do more harm than good.
Featured
No one convicted after 58 people gunned down in cold blood in 2009 in the country's worst political mass killing.
While hosting the World Internet Conference, China tries Tiananmen activist for leaking 'state secrets' to US website.
Once staunchly anti-immigrant, some observers say the conservative US state could lead the way in documenting migrants.
NGOs say women without formal documentation are being imprisoned after giving birth in Malaysia.
Public stripping and assault of woman and rival protests thereafter highlight Kenya's gender-relations divide.