[QODLink]
Americas

Algerian freed from Guantanamo after 12 years

Ahmed Belbacha turned over to Algerian government after being held in US prison for more than a decade without charge.

Last updated: 13 Mar 2014 14:50
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
The transfer brings the total prisoner population at the US base in Cuba to 154 [AP]

An Algerian national held in Guantanamo Bay for 12 years without charge has been released and sent back to his home country.

The Pentagon said on Thursday that Ahmed Belbacha, 44, was turned over to the Algerian government. The transfer brings the total prisoner population at the US base in Cuba to 154.

Lawyers for Belbacha, from the British human rights group Reprieve, said it expected he would be released by the Algerian government and allowed to return to his family.

Ahmed Belbacha [Reprieve]

Reprieve said that he was subjected to violent interrogation, physical abuse and held incommunicado by US authorities.

The Pentagon alleged that Belbacha, an Algerian army veteran, had weapons training in Afghanistan and twice met Osama bin Laden.

Belbacha had lived briefly in the UK, where he worked as a waiter before his 2001 capture in Pakistan, where he was reportedly visiting to pursue religious studies.

In 2007, his lawyer had expressed his fears of being repatriated to Algeria where he believed he would be mistreated for being “unjustly branded as a terrorist".

He also said that Belbacha feared that he would be hunted by al-Qaeda’s North African affiliate because he worked for a government-owned oil company and had been called for another term of military service.

Meanwhile, another prisoner, the 34-year old Yemeni national Abdel Malik al-Rahabi, who also spent 12 years without charge at Guantanamo Bay, was rejected for release on Wednesday.

The Associated Press news agency reported that al-Rahabi was the second Guantanamo prisoner to appear before a board re-evaluating the cases of about 40 men previously deemed too dangerous to release.

The the six-member panel determined al-Rahabi should remain in custody, saying that he had significant ties to al-Qaeda and would pose a threat if he returned to Yemen.

Al-Rahabi's lawyer told the review panel in January that the prisoner was eager to return to his family and to launch an farming enterprise with other former Guantanamo prisoners.

The US president, Barack Obama, vowed to close Guantanamo after being elected into office, but has been thwarted by Congress. Obama pledged a renewed effort to close the prison last year.

371

Source:
AP
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
Country
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
Muslim volunteers face questioning and threat of arrest, while aid has been disrupted or blocked, charities say.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
ISIL combatants seeking an 'exit strategy' from Mideast conflict need positive reinforcement back home, analysts say.
European nation hit by a wave of Islamophobia as many young fighters join ISIL in Syria and Iraq.
Featured
Lack of child protection laws means abandoned and orphaned kids rely heavily on the care of strangers.
At least 25 tax collectors have been killed since 2012 in Mogadishu, a city awash in weapons and abject poverty.
Since she was 16-years-old, Scottish Nationalist Party's Sturgeon has strove for independence from the UK.
Armed group's ransom success with German hostages marks a re-emergence, as authorities investigate ISIL links.
Western nations are moving into the resource-rich country after decades of disinterest, challenging China's interests.