Award-winning actor Cory Monteith, the 31-year-old star of the hit TV show "Glee," died of an apparently accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol, Canadian authorities have said.
The British Columbia Coroners Service released a post-mortem of the Canadian star, saying Monteith died of mixed-drug toxicity.
"There is absolutely nothing at this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything but the most sad and tragic accident," said the spokeswoman for the service.
The actor was found dead on Saturday in a central Vancouver hotel room. His body was found by hotel staff after he missed his check-out time
Vancouver police said they believed he was alone in the room after returning to the hotel early on Saturday morning.
Hotel video and electronic records indicate he returned to his room by himself early Saturday.
"There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose," police said, ruling out foul play.
Police said it was too early for the coroner's office to conclude whether Monteith was the victim of a bad batch of heroin, which turns up from time to time in Vancouver.
Monteith was public about his struggles with substance abuse.
In April, he completed voluntary treatment for unspecified substance addiction at a rehabiliation facility. He had also been treated in a facility at age 19.
Monteith began his career in a number of small roles leading up to a recurring part between 2006 and 2007 in the ABC Family science-fiction drama "Kyle XY."
"Glee", which is centered on a high school glee club, was Monteith's breakthrough.
Popular for its song and dance routines and big-name guest stars, the show has won Golden Globe, Emmy and Peabody awards.