[QODLink]
Americas
Peru protests ensue despite emergency decree
Government declares state of emergency after clashes between police and activists left four people dead and 21 injured.
Last Modified: 05 Jul 2012 09:07
Protesters say the Conga mining project will pollute the area's lakes and rivers, contaminating water supplies [Reuters]

At least four people have been killed and 21 injured after security forces clashed with demonstrators protesting a planned $4.8 billion gold mine by US-based Newmont in northern Peru.

The latest death came a day after Peru’s government declared a state of emergency on Wednesday in three northern provinces after protests against the mining project turned violent.

Prime Minister Oscar Valdes announced the death at a Lima news conference though without providing details.

A former Roman Catholic priest, Marco Arana, was also arrested hours earlier in Cajamarca, where the emergency was imposed, further inflaming tensions.

Arana, a 49-year-old veteran of anti-mining protests, complained via Twitter that "in the police station they hit me again, punches in the face, kidneys, insults".

Chief local prosecutor Johnny Diaz told The Associated Press that he had designated a prosecutor to investigate Arana's claim.

Diaz said Arana was arrested for organising meetings, an activity prohibited under the state of emergency. He said authorities had not issued any arrest warrants or made any mass arrests on Wednesday.

State of emergency

The state of emergency was imposed late on Tuesday in Cajamarca province and two neighbouring provinces after three people were killed during a violent protest in the region.

A 17-year-old was among those dead, and 15 people were also arrested at the Conga mining project, Cajamarca region prosecutor Esperanza Leon told RPP radio.

More than 1,000 protesters threw stones at government offices in the town of Celendin, and police responded by firing tear gas to disperse the crowd and suspending freedom of assembly to quell clashes, local media reported.

During the scuffle, two police officers were wounded by "guns fired by protesters who were trying to take over Celendin", the interior ministry said in a statement. It accused the demonstrators of committing "criminal acts".

The Peruvian government declared a state of emergency in Cajamarca and two neighbouring provinces and mobilised the military to support police operations.

Protesters say the Conga mining project will pollute the area's lakes and rivers, contaminating water supplies.

The demonstration came after Celendin Mayor Mauro Arteaga was said to have expressed support for the project.

Conga was approved in 2010 by former president Alan Garcia's government. His successor President Ollanta Humala had been a backer of the project but insists potential environmental impacts must be weighed.

The open-pit project, located some 3,700m above sea level, involves moving the water from four lagoons high in the Andes mountains into reservoirs the company would build.

Construction is due to begin in 2014.

428

Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
At least 25 tax collectors have been killed since 2012 in Mogadishu, a city awash in weapons and abject poverty.
Tokyo government claims its homeless population has hit a record low, but analysts - and the homeless - beg to differ.
3D printers can cheaply construct homes and could soon be deployed to help victims of catastrophe rebuild their lives.
Lack of child protection laws means abandoned and orphaned kids rely heavily on the care of strangers.
Featured
Booming global trade in 50-million-year-old amber stones is lucrative, controversial, and extremely dangerous.
Legendary Native-American High Bird was trained in ancient warrior traditions, which he employed in World War II.
Hounded opposition figure says he's hoping for the best at sodomy appeal but prepared to return to prison.
Fears of rising Islamophobia and racial profiling after two soldiers killed in separate incidents.
Group's culture of summary justice is back in Northern Ireland's spotlight after new sexual assault accusations.