Chavez orders rice plants takeover

Army told to temporarily take control of rice processing plants following price disputes.

    Chavez said that he would have no problem expropriating the rice plants [AFP]

    The army has been ordered to intervene in all rice factories in the Latin American nation.

    'Violating laws'

    Elias Jaua, the agriculture minister, said that Empresas Polar, Venezuela's largest food producer will be affected.

    Jaua said that occupation of factories will be the first move beginning with Primor rice, owned by Empresas Polar.

    "It is violating the laws and rules of the nation," Jaua said.

    Such allegations were denied by Guillermo Bolinaga, Polar's legal director, on Friday.

    He said that the accusations were "illegal and arbitrary".

    Cargill, the US food giant which owns plants in Venezuela, could therefore be affected.

    Nationalisation threat

    Chavez said that some firms had threatened to paralyse production, but that any doing so would be taken over by the government.

    "I don't have any problem expropriating," Chavez said.

    "And I'll pay them with paper, too. Don't think I'll pay them with hard cash."

    Venezuela has price controls on many basic products to combat inflation which hit more than 30 per cent last year.

    Chavez raised the price of rice in 2008 to just over US$1 per kilogramme.

    He has previously accused suppliers of hording rice to raise prices.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Why menstrual stigma continues to claim lives in Nepal

    Why Nepal's 'menstruation huts' are still killing women

    Campaigners call on Nepali authorities to step up efforts to demystify menstruation after chauupadi claims another life.

    Why Jerusalem is not the capital of Israel

    Why Jerusalem is not the capital of Israel

    No country in the world recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

    Canada: Attack on girl wearing hijab 'did not happen'

    Canada: Attack on girl wearing hijab 'did not happen'

    Toronto police announce hate crime investigation concluded after evidence shows cutting of girl's hijab didn't occur.