Brazil snubs UK shooting report

Brasilia says it will keep insisting the guilty be held responsible for the Brazilian shooting.

     Menezes was mistakenly shot dead at Stockwell Tube station on 22 July 2005 by British police [EPA]

    The note refers to a report issued on Thursday by Britain's Independent Police Complaints Commission determining, among other things, that Metropolitan Police chief Sir Ian Blair was unaware the  27-year-old electrician had been shot by mistake until the next day.

      

    The ministry said: "In its ongoing concern about the case, the Brazilian government renews its support for and solidarity with the Menezes family, and repeats that it will keep insisting that the guilty be held responsible" for Menezes' death.

      

    Menezes' family has branded the report "a huge injustice and very shameful," adding that the British police "have been allowed to get away with murder."

      

    The police commission singled out anti-terrorism chief Andy Hayman for criticism, saying he had failed to pass on information about the identity of the victim to his boss Blair quickly enough, leading to the police chief not knowing about the mistake until the next day.

      

    De Menezes was shot seven times in the head at point-blank range by police, who followed him onto a train at Stockwell station suspecting he was a suicide bomber with an explosive belt around his waist.

      

    The killing took place amid a huge manhunt for four men who, the day before, had attempted but failed to blow themselves up on three London Underground trains, in what would have been a repeat of devastating July 7 attacks that killed 52 people.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Venezuela in default: What next?

    Venezuela in default: What next?

    As the oil-rich country fails to pay its debt, we examine what happens next and what it means for its people.

    The Muslims of South Korea

    The Muslims of South Korea

    The number of Muslims in South Korea is estimated to be around 100,000, including foreigners.

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    There are reports Saudi Arabia is demanding money from the senior officials it recently arrested.