Thousands march to support Chavez

Rally comes a day after protest against the president's move not to re-license RCTV

    Chavez has refused to renew the licence of RCTV, which went off air last week [AFP]
    Coup support

    Chavez refused to renew the licence of RCTV, Venezuela's oldest and most popular commercial television station, over a week ago, prompting protests in the country and criticism from abroad.

    Your Views

    "I believe that the closing down of the television station is very justified"

    Medishagh, Nouakshott, Mauritania

    Send us your views

    During an attempted coup in 2002, the channel openly called for his removal from power.

     
    Chavez said: "If the Venezuelan oligarchy ... does not accept this call to live together in peace that we are making, if it keeps on attacking using the things it still controls, it will keep losing those things one by one."
     
    He said the earlier demonstration, mostly undertaken by students, was a "destabilising manoeuvre" and part of a "gentle coup" against the government.
     
    Jose Vicente Rangel, a former vice president, defended the earlier protest, saying: "The students do not want to topple the government. We have to look for a dialogue with them."
     
    RCTV's frequency has been handed over to a government-run public broadcaster.

     
    'Chavez will not go!'

    Chavez supporters on Saturday chanted "Ho! Ho! Chavez will not go", suggesting the demonstration was as much about the president as about the RCTV.
     
    Jesse Chacon, Venezuela's telecommunications minister, supported the move saying: "Today, Venezuela is democratising the broadcast spectrum and takes one step ahead."
     

    "Today, Venezuela is democratising the broadcast spectrum and takes one step ahead"

    Jesse Chacon, Venezuela's Telecommunications Minister

    But following Chavez's refusal to re-license the popular channel, Brazil's senate formally requested on Wednesday that Chavez reconsider his decision to force RCTV off the air.
     
    In response, Chavez accused Brazil of being a "subordinate" of Washington and said Brazil "should worry about Brazil's problems".
     
    Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, the Brazilian president, defended the senate's decision, earning him some praise in the Brazilian press.
     
    Lula "did what he had to do to defend Brazil's independent and democratic principles", the Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper said in an editorial on Saturday.
     
    Lula also asked his foreign ministry to call in Venezuela's ambassador to Brazil so he could explain Chavez's response.
     
    The issue of freedoms is expected to come up at the general assembly of the Organisation of American States which starts on Sunday in Panama.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Apart from being disastrous for Palestine, normalising relations with Israel could get Saudi Arabia in real trouble.

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    With female foeticide still widespread, one woman tells her story of being mutilated for giving birth to her daughters.

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    There are reports Saudi Arabia is demanding money from the senior officials it recently arrested.