[QODLink]
Africa

Many dead in fresh CAR clashes

At least 22 killed in fighting between Muslim ex-rebels and Christian militia in Bambari in country's east.

Last updated: 13 Jun 2014 13:38
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
The ICC said in February it would launch a preliminary probe into crimes committed since September 2012 [AFP]

Fighting between mainly Muslim ex-rebels and the largely Christian "anti-balaka" militia has killed at least 22 people in eastern Central African Republic, security officials have said.

"At least 22 people have been killed and more than 30 were wounded in clashes that broke out last Monday and Tuesday in a village outside of the central town of Bambari," a security official, requesting to remain anonymous, told the AFP news agency on Thursday, 

"We have also counted 127 homes burned by the ex-Seleka and armed Fulani," he said.

Two of the four hostages were also publicly executed after deadly clashes, Reuters news agency quoted a local journalist and a witness, Jean Nono, as saying.

The clashes broke out on Monday as a group of Muslims, who were returning to the town of Bambari after carrying out a reprisal raid on a village where two Muslim herders had been killed, clashed with a Christian mob attempting to block their path.

Mapping Central African Republic's bloodshed

ICC investigation

Thousands have died and nearly a million Central Africans have fled their homes in the chaos unleashed after Muslim-led Seleka rebels seized Bangui, the capital of the majority Christian nation, last year. 

They relinquished power under heavy international pressure in January, but the abuses they committed fuelled the rise of anti-Balaka Christian fighters, responsible for revenge attacks that have driven most Muslims from Bangui and the west. 

Catherine Samba-Panza, CAR's president, said on Wednesday that she had sent a request to the International Criminal Court (ICC) to open an investigation into crimes committed during the inter-communal violence in her country since mid-2012.

The ICC announced in February it was launching a preliminary investigation for crimes committed since September 2012.

ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said she would take a decision soon on whether to bring any cases before the world court. 

"The Central African courts are not in a position to carry out the necessary investigations and proceedings efficiently, and consequently, the International Criminal Court's intervention now appears essential," she said on Thursday.

337

Source:
Agencies
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Featured on Al Jazeera
An innovative rehabilitation programme offers Danish fighters in Syria an escape route and help without prosecution.
Street tension between radical Muslims and Holland's hard right rises, as Islamic State anxiety grows.
Take an immersive look at the challenges facing the war-torn country as US troops begin their withdrawal.
Ministers and MPs caught on camera sleeping through important speeches have sparked criticism that they are not working.
Featured
After decades of overfishing, Japan is taking aim at increasing the number of bluefin tuna in the ocean.
Chinese scientists are designing a particle-smashing collider so massive it could encircle a city.
Critics say the government is going full-steam ahead on economic recovery at the expense of human rights.
Spirits are high in Scotland's 'Whisky Capital of the World' with one distillery thirsty for independence.
President Poroshenko arrives in Washington on Thursday with money and military aid on his mind, analysts say.
join our mailing list