A Chinese camp in northern Cameroon has been attacked by gunmen, a local governor has said, close to a border stronghold of the Nigerian armed group, Boko Haram.
The attack took place on Friday near the town of Waza, 20km from the Nigerian border and the Sambisa forest, which is close to the area where Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 women and girls from a school in Chibok last month.
The governor of Far North province, Augustine Fonka Awa, confirmed the attack on Saturday to Reuters news agency but declined to give details.
|France to host summit on Boko Haram.
The Chinese state news agency, Xinhua, quoted Chinese officials as saying unidentified gunmen injured one person, and 10 others were unaccounted for.
Boko Haram has staged several attacks in northern Cameroon.
Last month, the group attacked a police post, killing two people. The rebels kidnapped a French family in February 2013.
West African leaders meet in Paris on Saturday to try to improve cooperation in their fight against Boko Haram.
Outrage over the kidnapping has prompted Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, criticised at home for his government's slow response, to accept US, British and French intelligence help in the hunt for the girls.
More than a month after the girls were abducted President Jonathan has still not visited Chibok.
Speaking from Paris, Al Jazeera's Mohammed Adow said parents of the girls were expecting a visit from him on Friday which was canceled, leading to more criticism.
"He is expected to seek re-election this year, but many people do not want it, especially the Muslim population of northern Nigeria who have felt marginalised during his term as president."
Source: Al Jazeera and agencies