[QODLink]
Africa

Red Cross says asked to suspend work in Sudan

Spokesman says official letter from Humanitarian Aid Commission ordered agency to halt its activities.

Last updated: 01 Feb 2014 13:20
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
The agency has provided health services, food aid, seeds, tools and hand pumps in Sudan [Red Cross]

Sudanese authorities have ordered the Red Cross to suspend its activities, the organisation said, in the latest restriction to be placed on foreign aid workers in the country.

"We have received an official letter from the HAC [Humanitarian Aid Commission] informing us to suspend our activities with effect from today," Rafiullah Qureshi, spokesman for the International Committee of the Red Cross in Sudan [ICRC], told the AFP news agency on Saturday. 

"Our activities are suspended."

He said the HAC cited "some technical issues" related to work which ICRC hoped to undertake this year in Sudan.

As a neutral intermediary, the Red Cross has facilitated the handover and repatriation of numerous prisoners held by armed groups in the country's war-torn Darfur region.

The agency has also provided health services, food aid, seeds, tools, hand pumps and other assistance that helped more than 1.5 million people in restive parts of the country last year, Qureshi said.

Negotiations

Although the ICRC's projects are suspended, its local and international staff, numbering about 700, will still go to their offices while discussions take place "in coming days" with the foreign ministry, HAC and other government agencies, he said.

The aim is "to resume our activities as soon as possible in favour of the victims of armed conflict." Qureshi said ICRC work in Sudan had previously been suspended in the 1990s.

The HAC could not immediately be reached for comment, but Sudanese officials have repeatedly expressed their wish to cooperate with international agencies.

However, access has been restricted to the states of South Kordofan and Blue Nile, where rebellions began more than two years ago and where the United Nations says more than one million people have been displaced or severely affected.

There has been no aid access to rebel-held areas of the two states since 2011.

In 2012, the HAC expelled seven international non-governmental organisations from impoverished eastern Sudan.

Also that year, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said it had been forced to suspend medical activities in a part of North Darfur because of restrictions imposed on its work there.

In 2009, Sudan revoked the licences of 13 international aid groups working in Darfur shortly after the International Criminal Court issued a warrant against President Omar al-Bashir for alleged war crimes.

376

Source:
AFP
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Featured on Al Jazeera
UNHCR says hundreds of people trapped in Yaloke town risk death if they are not evacuated to safety urgently.
'Justice for All' demonstrations swell across the US over the deaths of African Americans in police encounters.
Six former Guantanamo detainees are now free in Uruguay with some hailing the decision to grant them asylum.
Disproportionately high number of Aboriginal people in prison highlights inequality and marginalisation, critics say.
Featured
Long-standing dispute over Christian use of the word 'Allah' raises concerns about a very un-Merry Christmas.
The threat posed by ISIL has prompted thousands of young Kurds to join the PKK.
Baja California - with its own grim history of disappeared people - finds a voice in the fight against violence.
Russian feminist rockers fight system holding 700,000 - the world's largest per capita prison population after the US.
Weeks of growing protests against Muslims continue in Dresden with 15,000 hitting the streets last Monday.