[QODLink]
Africa

DRC troops vow fresh offensive against rebels

Buoyed by gains made in four days of fighting, government forces say they will launch new offensive to defeat rebels.

Last Modified: 30 Oct 2013 08:18
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback

Government forces will step up their offensive against M23 rebels, already reeling from setbacks in the ongoing conflict in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), according to an army officer.

The officer, who declined to be identified as he was not authorised to speak to the media, said on Tuesday a planned attack would take place soon, according to the AFP news agency.

M23 have been pushed to their mountain holdout in the east near the border with Uganda after four days of fighting. 

An officer from MONUSCO, the UN mission in the DRC, said Congolese troops were in the process of "reorganising, replenishing supplies and fine-tuning plans".

After 36 hours of silence, the M23 published a statement on their website saying that the withdrawal was "in no way a sign of weakness", but a tactical retreat to Bunagana, the base of its political leaders.

Bunagana is one of the towns in eastern Congo plagued by violence. The main town and previously a target for the rebels to gain control of is Goma, capital of North Kivu province.

M23, so-called after a peace agreement they signed with the government on March 22 2009 before staging a mutiny in April 2012, resumed fighting after the collapse of peace talks in the Ugandan capital Kampala.

The talks followed a ceasefire which took effect in November and saw calm returning to the county's mineral-rich eastern region, where rebels and a motley of militias have battled for control of natural resources for years.

After four days of fierce combat, Martin Kobler, head of MONUSCO in the DRC, reported to the UN Security Council that "practically all M23 positions were abandoned, except for a small triangle at the Rwandan border".

Troops from Tanzania, Malawi and South Africa have been fighting alongside the Congolese army after being granted a special Security Council mandate to take the offensive against armed movements in eastern DRC.

But experts familiar with the conflict in the region said M23 still had the capacity to reorganise and launch a new offensive.

Fidel Bafilemba, a researcher for the US non-governmental organisation Enough Project, said that M23 was "capable of many surprises, even if it is pushed back beyond the borders".

DRC and the UN both accuse Rwanda and Uganda of supporting the M23, allegations that are strongly denied in Kigali and Kampala.

The past few days of renewed fighting has led to international calls for restraint in a country beset by successive civil wars and where hundreds of thousands have been forced from their homes by the rebellion in the east.

428

Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
'Justice for All' demonstrations swell across the US over the deaths of African Americans in police encounters.
Six former Guantanamo detainees are now free in Uruguay with some hailing the decision to grant them asylum.
Disproportionately high number of Aboriginal people in prison highlights inequality and marginalisation, critics say.
Nearly half of Canadians have suffered inappropriate advances on the job - and the political arena is no exception.
Featured
Women's rights activists are demanding change after Hanna Lalango, 16, was gang-raped on a bus and left for dead.
Buried in Sweden's northern forest, Sorsele has welcomed many unaccompanied kids who help stabilise a town exodus.
A look at the changing face of North Korea, three years after the death of 'Dear Leader'.
While some fear a Muslim backlash after café killings, solidarity instead appears to be the order of the day.
Victims spared by the deadly disease are reporting blindness and other unexpected post-Ebola health issues.