[QODLink]
Africa
Libyan TV shows footage of 'Khamis Gaddafi'
Despite reports that leader's son was killed in a NATO air strike, footage appears to show him visiting local hospital.
Last Modified: 10 Aug 2011 02:22
If genuine, Tuesday's footage would be the first visual proof that Khamis is still alive [Reuters]

Libyan state television has shown what it said was footage of Muammar Gaddafi's son Khamis visiting people wounded in an air attack east of Tripoli.

Rebels had said last week that Khamis had been killed. The government had denied rebel claims that Khamis, commander of one of Gaddafi's most loyal and best-equipped units, had been killed by a NATO air strike near Zlitan.

Libyan TV said the footage was recorded on Tuesday. If genuine, it would be the first visual proof that Khamis was still alive.

Wearing a military uniform and an orange beret and bearing a striking resemblance to Khamis, a man was heard chatting to people the network said were wounded earlier on Tuesday in a NATO air strike on farmhouses near Zlitan.

The government said 85 civilians were killed in the attack. NATO said it hit a legitimate military target and was investigating the incident.

"They bombed the house. You mean you did not expect to be bombed," Khamis could be heard asking a woman lying in a hospital bed.

Earlier, state television showed the charred bodies of at least three children who were allegedly killed by a NATO strike on Monday night in the village of Majar, about 150km east of the capital, Tripoli.

Majar is near Zlitan, where NATO forces have been mounting attacks on troops loyal to Gaddafi.

It also showed wounded women and children being treated in a hospital.

The Libyan government announced three days of mourning for the victims, according to state television.

Mussa Ibrahim, the Libyan government spokesman, said: "After the first three bombs dropped at around 21:00 GMT on Monday, many residents of the area ran to the bombed houses to try to save their loved ones."

"Three more bombs struck. Thirty-three children, 32 women and 20 men from 12 families were killed in the massacre," Mussa told reporters on an organised visit.

NATO said overnight air strikes near Zlitan in western Libya were "legitimate" and that it had no evidence that the bombs killed 85 villagers.

"We do not have evidence of civilian casualties at this stage," Colonel Roland Lavoie, the NATO spokesman for the alliance's Libya campaign, said at a video conference held at its Naples headquarters.

EU Sanctions

The European Union on Wednesday imposed new sanctions on Gaddafi's regime - targeting two "economic entities" linked to human rights abuse, said EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.

An asset freeze and visa ban were extended to "two further entities closely linked to the perpetrators of the serious human rights abuses in Libya, given the gravity of the situation," Ashton explained.

While neither of the two entities have been revealed, a French foreign ministry spokeswoman said earlier that the restrictions would target Al Sharara, which operates in the oil sector, as well as an administrative organisation linked to Gaddafi.

To date, the EU has frozen the funds and financial resources of six port authorities, 49 entities and 39 people. None of the 39, which include Gaddafi and some of his family members, are allowed to enter the EU.  

Criticism rejected

NATO has rejected growing international criticism of its air strike on Libyan television last month, saying it had no evidence the attack caused any casualties.

Spokeswoman Carmen Romero said the alliance had not deliberately targeted journalists. She said the alliance "targeted equipment that had been used to incite attacks against civilians".

Libyan officials said the strike on the eve of Ramadan, on the state television's satellite transmitters killed three journalists and injured 15 others.

International journalists' groups condemned the strikes, saying they violated a UN resolution banning attacks on the media.

On Monday, the UN cultural and educational body also denounced the strike, saying it violated the Geneva Conventions.

Meanwhile, NATO warplanes bombed a Libyan warship docked in Tripoli harbour after reportedly observing that weapons were being taken from it.

NATO said it destroyed several Libyan naval vessels in air strikes in May. Warships hit at that time included a Koni-class frigate and a Combattante class fast-attack ship.

NTC reshuffled

Meanwhile, in the opposition capital of Benghazi in eastern Libya, the National Transitional Council (NTC) sought to display a show of unity a day after dissolving its executive board and asking Mahmoud Jibril, its chairman, to elect a new one.

NTC officials said the head of the council, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, dismissed several top ministers - including those responsible for finance, defence and information - while calling for root and branch reform.

The chairman of Libya's opposition has called for unity among members of the NTC [Al Jazeera]

Al Jazeera's Tony Birtley, reporting from the opposition stronghold of Benghazi, said on Tuersday the reshuffling came not only as a suprise but as a direct result of the murder of Abdel Fattah Younes, the commander of the opposition forces, more than a week ago.

Our correspondent said this was a crucial time for the NTC.

"We are starting to see cracks both politically and militarily and the sacking of the executive committee is a direct consequence of Abdel Fattah Younes' death.

"There has been considerable pressure brought to bear by Younes' tribe - with 4,000 well armed fighters the Obeidis are one of the largest in the east - and they wanted resignations.

"The 16-man executive committees have been pushed to one side and they will not return in any shape or form.

"There are cracks developing but the NTC is taking steps to show that it is in control and in command and is taking the necessary measures to show they have the strength and the unity to continue the fight against Muammar Gaddafi," Birtley said.

In an interview with Al Jazeera on Monday, Abdul Jalil said: "Administrative mistakes have been noted in the NTC bureau performance in recent period, prompting the NTC to take the decision to dissolve the bureau.

"A newly formed bureau would be entrusted with reviewing  the 'conspiracy' that involved the assassination of General Younes," he said.

"The members of the executive bureau did not dispose with the assassination issue in a proper manner.".

Asked whether they were accusing anyone, Abdul Jalil said, "No member of the opposition fighters would behave that way with the commander of the national army and his colleagues, unless there is a conspiracy."

Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
Italy struggles to deal with growing flood of migrants willing to risk their lives to reach the nearest European shores.
Israel's Operation Protective Edge is the third major offensive on the Gaza Strip in six years.
Muslims and Arabs in the US say they face discrimination in many areas of life, 13 years after the 9/11 attacks.
At one UN site alone, approximately four children below the age of five are dying each day.
Featured
Amid vote audit and horse-trading, politicians of all hues agree a compromise is needed to avoid political instability.
Part of the joint accord aimed at ending the political impasse establishes an independent National Election Commission.
Rights groups say the US prosecution of terrorism cases targets Muslims and are fraught with abuses.
Local painters forgo experimentation to cater to growing number of foreign buyers.
Cyprus is a tax haven and has long attracted wealthy Russians, but it could become a European energy hub.
join our mailing list