The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court has said he will open a formal investigation into possible crimes against humanity in Libya.
Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the ICC prosecutor, decided to launch the investigation on Wednesday after a "preliminary examination of available information."
The announcement was an unprecedentedly swift reaction to the violent crackdown on anti-government protests by Muammar Gaddafi, the Libyan leader, and his supporters.
Prosecutors often take months and sometimes years to decide whether to open an investigation into possible war crimes.
The ICC has previously said that it has been in contact with Libyan army officers to gather information about civilian deaths during the uprising and pledged "no impunity" for anyone found to have committed crimes against humanity.
"Information suggests that forces loyal to President Muammar Gaddafi are attacking civilians in Libya. This could constitute crimes against humanity and must stop,” Moreno-Ocampo said on Tuesday.
"There will be no impunity for leaders involved in commission of crimes," he said.
Content on this website is for general information purposes only.
Your comments are provided by your own free will and you take sole responsibility for any direct or indirect
liability. You hereby provide us with an irrevocable, unlimited, and global license for no consideration to
use, reuse, delete or publish comments, in accordance with Community
Rules & Guidelines and Terms and