[QODLink]
Africa
ICC outrage over Guinea massacre
Probe into last year's killing of opposition activists hint at crime against humanity.
Last Modified: 20 Feb 2010 13:30 GMT
More than 150 opposition demonstrators died as soldiers opened fire in Conakry [File: Reuters]

The massacre of more than 150 opposition supporters in Guinea last year in all likelihood amounted to a crime against humanity, investigators from the International Criminal Court (ICC) have said.

Fatou Bensouda, the deputy prosecutor of the ICC, and her team spent three days in the West African nation collecting evidence about the killings carried out by presidential guards on September 28. 

"As the deputy prosecutor of the ICC, I have gathered from this visit the feeling that crimes against humanity were committed," Bensouda told reporters in the capital Conakry, on Friday.

"On the basis of the information that we have received from this visit, we will pursue our preliminary investigation."

A United Nations report released in December blamed the then-leader of the country's military government, Captain Moussa Dadis Camara, for the massacre.

The massacre occurred as opposition supporters staged a rally amid concerns that Camara - who seized power in 2008 after the death of Lansana Conte, the president - was planning to renege on a pledge to hold civilian elections. 

Besides scores who died after soldiers opened fire in the city's main sports stadium, more than 100 women were raped during the incident.

'Atrocious crimes'

Bensouda said "atrocious crimes" had been committed on September 28 as "men in uniform attacked civilians, they killed and wounded".

"In full daylight they mistreated, violated and submitted women to unprecedented sexual violence."

Despite her conclusions, Bensouda said Guinea could become an example if it was willing to bring the main perpetrators to justice.

"These few days working in Guinea confirmed that Guinean institutions and the ICC can work in a complementary way: either Guinean authorities can prosecute the main people in charge themselves, or they will turn to the court to do it," she said.

However, a commission appointed by the country's military rulers has already absolved Camara of responsibility.

Since the massacre, Camara has faced an attempt on his life and is recovering in Burkina Faso, while a transitional government has been appointed to steer the country back to civilian rule. 

Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
UNHCR says hundreds of people trapped in Yaloke town risk death if they are not evacuated to safety urgently.
'Justice for All' demonstrations swell across the US over the deaths of African Americans in police encounters.
Six former Guantanamo detainees are now free in Uruguay with some hailing the decision to grant them asylum.
Disproportionately high number of Aboriginal people in prison highlights inequality and marginalisation, critics say.
Featured
Long-standing dispute over Christian use of the word 'Allah' raises concerns about a very un-Merry Christmas.
The threat posed by ISIL has prompted thousands of young Kurds to join the PKK.
Baja California - with its own grim history of disappeared people - finds a voice in the fight against violence.
Russian feminist rockers fight system holding 700,000 - the world's largest per capita prison population after the US.
Weeks of growing protests against Muslims continue in Dresden with 15,000 hitting the streets last Monday.