[QODLink]
Africa
Guinea protest death toll soars
At least 157 demonstrators killed after security forces opened fire, rights group says.
Last Modified: 29 Sep 2009 14:25 GMT

Police opened fire as about 50,000 protesters tried to gather in Conakry [AFP]

At least 157 opposition supporters are now believed to have died after Guinea's troops opened fire on a mass protest in the capital, Conakry, a human rights group has said.

"According to hospital sources that we have spoken to, 157 dead and 1,253 injured have been registered," Thierno Maadjou Sow, the president of the Guinean Human Rights Organisation, said on Tuesday.

Sow told the Reuters news agency that the figure did not include the bodies of an unknown number of demonstrators killed which were never delivered to hospital in the city.

Opposition parties, which organised the demonstration amid speculation that Moussa Dadis Camara, the country's military leader, would stand in forthcoming elections, had earlier said that at least 128 people had died.

The shootings took place on Monday after about 50,000 protesters gathered outside a stadium in defiance of an official ban on the demonstration.

'Uncontrollable elements'

Camara, who has not yet formally announced his intention to stand in the January 31 poll, said that the killings were beyond his control.

"Even I, as head of state in this very tense situation, cannot claim to be able to control those elements in the military"

Moussa Dadis Camara, Guinea's military leader

"Those people who committed those atrocities were uncontrollable elements in the military," he told Radio France International late on Monday.

"Even I, as head of state in this very tense situation, cannot claim to be able to control those elements in the military.''

But there was widespread international condemnation of the bloody crackdown.

The African Union Commission, condemned the "indiscriminate firing on unarmed civilians", and urged Guinean officials to respect  freedom of expression and assembly.

"In this respect the commission is preparing a report on the developments in Guinea and possible measures to be taken, including sanctions," it said in a statement.

The AU suspended Guinea's membership after Camara seized power in a bloodless coup last December.

'Excessive force'

Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary-general, also deplored the "excessive use of force" and said he was "shocked by the loss of life, the high number of people injured and the destruction of property".

Camara, left, seized power after the death of President Lasana Conte last year [AFP]
France, Guinea's former colonial ruler, also condemned "the violent repression exercised by the army against the opposition and civil society during a peaceful demonstration held in Conakry".

Paris called on the military government to "show responsibility and to listen to the Guinean people's legitimate aspiration to democratically choose their leaders".

Human rights organisations and opposition politicians have said that there were reports of demonstrators being put to death with bayonets and women being raped by soldiers.

Corinne Dufka, the senior West Africa researcher at Human Rights Watch, said that the killing of dozens of unarmed protesters was "shocking even by the abusive standards of Guinea's coup government".

"Guinea's leaders should order an immediate end to attacks on demonstrators and bring to justice those responsible for the bloodshed," she said.

Camara had pledged not to stand for the presidency when he seized power after the death of Lasana Conte, the president, but he is reported to have told a number of people in recent weeks that he will run next year.

 Al Hassan Silah, a Conakry-based journalist, told Al Jazeera: "He has started saying that, as a citizen, he has that right and nobody should dictate what he can do.

"He appears to have gone back on his promise and that is what has angered people here and led to the demonstration at the stadium in Conakry."

Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Featured on Al Jazeera
Italy struggles to deal with growing flood of migrants willing to risk their lives to reach the nearest European shores.
Israel's Operation Protective Edge is the third major offensive on the Gaza Strip in six years.
Muslims and Arabs in the US say they face discrimination in many areas of life, 13 years after the 9/11 attacks.
At one UN site alone, approximately four children below the age of five are dying each day.
Featured
A former rebel's museum keeps alive memories of the July 26, 1953 veterans who launched Cuba's revolution.
A revolutionary new treatment is halving hospitalisation rates for severe asthma sufferers.
More than fifty years of an armed struggle for independence from Spain might be coming to an end in the Basque Country.
Human rights and corporate responsibility prompt a US church to divest from companies doing business with Israel.
After the shooting-down of flight MH17, relatives ask what the carrier has learned from still-missing MH370.
join our mailing list