[QODLink]
Africa
Rwanda genocide accused remanded
A British court remand four men after receiving extradition warrants from Rwanda.
Last Modified: 29 Dec 2006 20:58 GMT
Over 800,000 minority Tutsis were massacred in one of Africa's worst racial conflicts [AP]

A British court has remanded four Rwandan men accused of taking part in the 1994 genocide of minority Tutsis.
 
The men, in their 40s and 50s, appeared in a Westminster magistrates’ court on Friday after they were arrested in raids conducted in various parts of Britain.
Vincent Bajinya, Charles Munyaneza, Celestin Ugirashebuja and Emmanuel Nteziryayo all face the same charges that between January 1, 1994 and December 12, 1994 they murdered, plotted to murder and aided the murder of Tutsis intending to eradicate them all.
Over 800,000 Tutsis were massacred by majority Hutus in one of Africa's worst racial conflicts.
 
At a hearing at a Westminster magistrates’ court, Nteziryayo was remanded in custody until January 5. Bajinya, Munyaneza and Ugirashebuja were remanded until a further court appearance on January 26, a Crown Prosecution Service spokeswoman said.
 
Prosecutors alleged that Munyaneza, 48, Ugirashebuja, 53 and Nteziryayo, 44, had been local mayors with sweeping powers in their areas while Bajinya, 45, was accused of having been a militia coordinator in the capital Kigali.
 
All four men deny the accusations against them. Under an agreement between Britain and Rwanda, revealed in court for the first time on Friday, the men would not be given the death penalty if they were convicted.
 
The massacre took place in the spring of 1994 as gangs of machete-wielding Hutus roamed the country slaughtering not only ethnic Tutsis but also moderate members of their own race while the outside world simply stood by.
 
Rwanda began holding trials 10 years ago in connection with the genocide.
 
Earlier this month a United Nations court trying leaders of the genocide sentenced a former Catholic priest to 15 years in jail for ordering bulldozers to flatten a church in which 2,000 Tutsis were taking refuge.
 
Father Athanese Seromba had denied the charges. He was the 27th person to be convicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.
 
The process took on a new twist last month when a French anti-terrorism judge called for Paul Kagame, the Rwandan president, to stand trial for the shooting down of a plane carrying then President Juvenal Habyarimana that triggered the genocide.
 
Kigali has ridiculed the accusations, cut diplomatic ties and accused France of trying to cover what it says is its own guilt over the massacre.
Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
Featured on Al Jazeera
Indonesia's digerati could be crucial to success in the country's upcoming presidential election.
How Brazil's football legend turned every Corinthians' match into a political meeting for democracy.
As the Pakistani army battles Taliban forces, civilians in North Waziristan face an arduous escape for relative safety.
Nepalese trade in a libido-boosting fungus is booming but experts warn over-exploitation could destroy ecosystem.
Featured
Israel's strategy in Gaza remains uncertain, as internal politics are at play for PM Netanyahu.
Survey of more than 300 colleges shows 40 percent do; highlights lack of training for administrators, law enforcement.
Three years after independence, South Sudan still struggles to escape poverty and conflict.
Foreign entrepreneurs are taking advantage of China's positive economic climate by starting their own businesses there.
The study is the first to link development fields in Alberta, Canada with illnesses and contamination downstream.
join our mailing list