Man killed as 500,000 join Guinea opposition rally

One man shot dead and 12 wounded as at least half a million protest against alleged government corruption.

    Opposition says 700,000 people joined the rally, 200,000 more than the number given by security forces [AFP]
    Opposition says 700,000 people joined the rally, 200,000 more than the number given by security forces [AFP]

    A man has been shot dead by police at an anti-government rally in Guinea's capital, according to officials, as more than half a million people protested against alleged state corruption.

    At least 12 others were injured in Tuesday's demonstration in Conakry, and six were taken for questioning, government officials told the AFP news agency

    Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo said 700,000 people had joined a 15km procession from the suburbs to the 28 Septembre stadium in the west African nation's capital.   

    Security forces said the number was closer to 500,000, according to AFP.

    The dead man, named as Thierno Hamidou Diallo, 21, was shot in the chest by a police officer "as he was sitting on the balcony of his apartment" in the suburb of Bambeto, his brother Mamadou Dian Diallo said.

    Security Minister Abdoul Kabele Camara said that violence had broken out in late afternoon, leading to a police intervention in which "gunshots caused one serious injury and one fatality".  

    The police captain suspected of firing the shots had been identified and questioned, the minister said.

    READ MORE: Deadly clashes flare ahead of Guinea election

    The government of President Alpha Conde, who was re-elected last year, is blamed for mishandling the massive Simandou iron ore project in the south of the country managed by British-Australian firm Rio Tinto.

    Inside Story - Can an election help Guinea's democracy?

    Officials said in July that the challenges of getting the project off the ground during a global iron ore glut were considerable, but they would "do everything" to ensure it went on-stream.

    Guinea's constitutional court in November 2015 formally confirmed Conde's re-election, dismissing opposition claims of vote-rigging and fraud.

    It was only the second democratic presidential poll since Guinea gained independence from France in 1958.

    In addition to focusing on the economy, rights campaigners have urged Conde to use his second term to intensify the fight against impunity, strengthen the judiciary and promote equal respect for the rights of all Guineans.

    Despite the country being rich in minerals, most of the population in Guinea live in poverty and survive on less than one euro ($1.08) a day, according to the UN.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    More than 300 people died in Somalia but some are asking why there was less news coverage and sympathy on social media.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Japan's third-largest steelmaker has admitted it faked data on parts used in cars, planes and trains.