US marine admits choking death of Filipina transgender

Murder case against American serviceman reignites tensions about the legality of US troops in the Philippines.

    US marine admits choking death of Filipina transgender
    The murder case has put pressure on the Philippine government to renegotiate its military agreement with the US [AP]

    A US Marine stationed in the Philippines has admitted that he choked to death a Filipina transgender inside a motel north of the capital Manila, in a case that reignited tensions about the presence of American troops in the country.

    Joseph Scott Pemberton made the admission on Monday during the hearing on Jennifer Laude's murder in Olongapo City, just outside the former US naval base in Subic, according to local news reports.

    According to the reports, the American serviceman confessed to choking and dragging the victim after discovering that Laude was not biologically female.


    RELATED: No way home for Filipino 'Amerasians'


    Harry Roque, lawyer of the victim, also posted on Twitter that the accused testified that "he restrained Jennifer through an 'arm lock' until she stopped moving".

    Roque said that Pemberton invoked self-defence and told the court he feared that he would be raped.

    A Filipino investigator had testified last May that the victim died due to strangulation and asphyxia by drowning.

    Last Tuesday, Pemberton's mother Lisa also appeared in court to assert to her son's "good character", and to say that he did not discriminate against gay people.   

    The accused has been detained at a military camp in Manila pending the resolution of his case.

    Pemberton had been taking part in joint US-Philippine military exercises in October 2014 when the incident took place.

    The case has gained international attention as the Philippines and the US seek closer military ties to counter China's territorial claims and expansion in the South China Sea.

    Philippines defence pact boosts US influence

    Following the incident, the US was forced to temporarily cancel port visits of nine warships in the Philippines.

    Filipino activists have questioned the legality of the presence of US troops in the country.

    The murder case also put pressure on the government of President Benigno Aquino III to renegotiate the US-Philippine Visiting Forces Agreement.

    Manila and Washington signed the enhanced defence cooperation pact in April 2014 during the Philippine visit of President Barack Obama.

    The agreement allows US forces a greater and sustained presence in the Philippines for maritime security and disaster and humanitarian operations.

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    The woman who cleans up after 'lonely deaths' in Japan

    The woman who cleans up after 'lonely deaths' in Japan

    When somebody dies lonely and alone, Miyu Kojima steps in to clean their home and organise the mementos of their life.

    Putin and the 'triumph of Christianity' in Russia

    Putin and the 'triumph of Christianity' in Russia

    The rise of the Orthodox Church in Russia appears unstoppable, write filmmakers Glen Ellis and Viktoryia Kolchyna who went to investigate the close ties between the church and Putin.

    The chill effect: Is India's media running scared?

    The chill effect: Is India's media running scared?

    Much of India's media spurns a scoop about the son of PM Modi's right-hand man. Plus, NFL as platform for race politics.