Kevin Pietersen said he was "absolutely devastated" after being told he is not in England's plans this summer due to a complete breakdown in trust with the country's cricket board.

England director Andrew Strauss outlined his thoughts about his new role on Tuesday and the controversial Pietersen was, unsurprisingly, the main topic of interest.

I just find it incredibly deceitful what has happened to me and am frankly finding difficult to understand right now

Kevin Pietersen, Former England captain

"Now is the time for us to be really open about the Kevin Pietersen situation - people have been running away from it for years," Strauss told reporters in the Lord's pavilion.

"The truth about Kevin is that he is a phenomenal cricketer. But over months and years trust has eroded between Kevin Pietersen and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB). There is a massive trust issue between me and Kevin."

Pietersen was sacked by England last year following a number of incidents that culminated in the 5-0 Ashes defeat in Australia during which he was accused of bring disengaged from the team.

Strauss takes charge

Strauss' first task as director was to sack Peter Moores as coach and two days later Pietersen gave a timely reminder of his batting talent with a superb innings of 355 not out for Surrey in the county championship, the highest score of his career.

But Strauss said that had done nothing to alter the situation and he met Pietersen on Monday evening to tell him face to face he does not feature in England's plans.

Pietersen responded in typically forthright fashion by saying he was "absolutely devastated" that his hopes of a recall had been ended.

"I went into the meeting expecting Strauss to say that England's batting order is good at the moment but if I continued to score runs and if an injury occurred then I would be in contention to play," he wrote in a column published in the Daily Telegraph.

"I would naturally have to earn my recall, but at least I would be eligible. But no. Quite simply, I feel deeply misled."

Pietersen's hopes were fuelled in March when incoming England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Colin Graves hinted that the door was open if he returned to county cricket and scored runs.

Having kept his side of the bargain, Pietersen said he felt he had been "led down the garden path".

"I just find it incredibly deceitful what has happened to me and am frankly finding difficult to understand right now," Pietersen added.

"I have done everything I have been asked. I keep asking myself, what more could I do?"

Source: Reuters