Two Egyptian military cadets have been killed in a bombing north of Cairo as they waited to board a bus, officials say.

The blast struck in the Nile Valley city of Kafr al-Sheikh on Wednesday and wounded at least six other people, police officials said.

Osama Hamdi Abdel Wahid, Kafr el-Sheikh's governor, told the private CBC Extra news station that the bombing took place outside the the city's football stadium where the cadets were waiting for their bus.

He confirmed that two cadets had been killed.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

Scores of policemen and soldiers have been killed in attacks since the military overthrew President Mohamed Morsi in 2013.

Sinai Province, a group that has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group and was previously known as Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, has claimed such attacks in the past.

However, it has mainly focused on targets in the Sinai Peninsula, a strategic area bordering Israel, Gaza and the Suez Canal.

Other attacks have targeted policemen and soldiers in the capital and the Nile Delta.

Source: Agencies