Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal has refused security cover despite a warning of a possible attack on him by the Indian armed outfit Indian Mujahideen (IM).
A team of the security wing of Delhi Police met Kejriwal on Sunday and briefed him of a possible plot by the IM to abduct or harm him.
Kejriwal dismissed it and responded to the intelligence reports in a series of tweets.
“I strongly believe in God. I will not take any security”, Kejriwal tweeted. He said the police should instead deploy its force “for the security of the common man”.
He called the police’s warning “a bluff”. He tweeted while the police had asked him to keep the threat information a secret they had later on Sunday disclosed it to the reporters.
“By announcing this have not the police made me more vulnerable? Now anyone can attack me and it would be said that Bhaktal’s men did it,” he said.
Police are reported to have informed Kejriwal that the IM could use him to bargain with the Indian federal government for the release of Yasin Bhatkal.
Yasin Bhatkal, alleged to be the founder leader of IM, was arrested in August last year in Bihar state, on the India-Nepal border.
Bhatkal was on India’s most wanted list over the bomb blasts across many cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Pune.
Security concerns have followed Kejriwal since he assumed power in January as the chief minister of Delhi.
He has refused to accept security cover or a security convoy while travelling also.
He had said that long convoys pose a trouble and traffic distractions on roads for common people.
Kejriwal accused the “Delhi police of playing politics”. He said they are “either foolish or playing politics.”
Reports say despite Kejriwal’s defiance the Delhi police are planning to provide Z class security for the chief minister.
Z class security is offered by Indian National Security Guards and is the top tier of protection offered to persons with high-risk of threat.